Current Affairs For 24th July 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Recently, PM Modi interacted with Arvind Krishna. Arvind Krishna is currently serving as the CEO of _______.
C. Oracle Corporation
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with IBM CEO Shri Arvind Krishna via video conferencing.
● The Prime Minister congratulated Shri Arvind Krishna for becoming the global head of IBM earlier this year.
● He became the chief executive officer (CEO) of IBM in early 2020.
02. In July 2020, The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for exchange of information with __________.
A. Central Board of Secondary Education
B. Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
D. India Post
Explanation: The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for exchange of information
● This MoU supersedes the MoU signed between CBDT and the erstwhile Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) in the year 2015.
03. Ramesh Babu Boddu has been appointed as the MD and CEO of which of the following banks?
A. City Union Bank
B. Karur Vysya Bank
C. Indian Bank
D. Lakshmi Vilas Bank
Explanation:Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) has co-opted Ramesh Babu Boddu as an Additional Director and appointed him Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer for three years.
● The appointment of Ramesh Babu Boddu has been made for a period of three years from the date of taking charge.
● He will succeed PR Seshadri who resigned on 31st March 2020.
04. Who among the following won the inaugural Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity?
A. Malena Ernman
B. Greta Thunberg
C. Naomi Seibt
D. Boris Johnson
Explanation:Climate activist Greta Thunberg plans to donate a 1 million euro ($1.14 million) prize to organizations focused on the environment and climate change.
● The 17 year old Swede was named winner of the inaugural Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity.
● The Gulbenkian Prize aims to recognize people, groups of people and/or organizations from all over the world whose contributions to mitigation and adaptation to climate change stand out for its novelty, innovation and impact.
05. Recently, Juan Marsé passed away. He was a/an _______.
B. Social activist
Explanation: Juan Marsé, the Spanish novelist, has died at age 87.
● Marsé was one of Spain’s most-respected novelists over the past few decades and the winner of 2008 Cervantes Prize, the Spanish-speaking world’s top literary award.
06. Recently the creator of “Misha” , 1980 Olympic Mascot Viktor Chizhikov passed away. 1980 Olympic games took place at _______.
Explanation: The creator of the brown bear mascot “Misha” for the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics, Viktor Chizhikov passed away.
07. India successfully test fired ‘Dhruvastra’. Dhruvastra is a/an _______.
A. Assault rifle
B. Grenade launcher
C. Anti-tank guided missile
D. Battle tank
Explanation:The flight trials of India’s anti-tank guided missile ‘Dhruvastra’ were successfully conducted at the Interim Test Range (ITR) in Odisha.
● The helicopter-launched Nag Missile (HELINA) has now been named as ‘Dhruvastra’ anti-tank guided missile.
08.PM Modi congratulated Kakrapar Atomic Plant to reach its criticality. Kakrapar atomic power plant is in _______.
B. Tamil Nadu
Explanation: PM Modi congratulated the Kakrapar Atomic Plant of Gujarat to reach its criticality.
● Criticality is reaching normal operating conditions.
● The reactor generates 700 MW of power.
● The Kakrapar Nuclear Power Plant began its commercial nuclear power production in 1993. In 2015, two of its units were shut down due to coolant leaks.
09. Recently, Punjab National Bank has launched a nationwide campaign to distribute face masks and sanitizers to prevent the spread of COVID-19. PNB is headquartered in _______.
D. New Delhi
Explanation: Punjab National Bank has launched a nation-wide campaign to distribute face masks and sanitizers to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
● This campaign has been launched by PNB under Corporate social responsibility (CSR).
● Under this campaign, Punjab National Bank will distribute such material in 662 districts throughout the country.
10. SpaceX has successfully launched military satellite “ANASIS-II”. ANASIS-II is the first military satellite of _______
A. New Zealand
B. South Korea
Explanation:SpaceX has successfully launched South Korea’s first military satellite “ANASIS-II”.
● The satellite was deployed into a geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) by a Falcon 9 rocket.
● With this launch, South Korea has become the 10th country to own a military-only communications satellite.