English Vocabulary Words – 67
Here is today’s 10 English words with their meaning (English/Hindi), a sentence, antonyms and synonyms. Keep following us for more updates
1. Accentuate (Verb):– to stress, single out as important.
Synonyms: accent, emphasise, emphasize, punctuate, stress
Uses: The little girl wore a bright pink bow to accentuate her adorable ponytails.
2. Aggrandize (Verb):- increase or intensify.
Synonyms: aggrandise, blow up, dramatise, dramatize, embellish, embroider.
Uses: The history of the past illustrates how Indira gandhi aggrandized her power to act aggressively in international affairs without considering the wishes of Congress.
Trick: grand- this resembles to something huge,great,wealthy.
3. Obeisance (Noun):– bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting.
Synonyms: bow, bowing.
Uses: The young girl showed obeisance when she bowed before the queen.
4. Avalanche (Noun):– a slide of large masses of snow and ice and mud down a mountain.
Synonyms: roll down
Uses: Just over a year ago 16 Sherpa guides were killed after the deadliest avalanche on record hit Everest.
English is My Life, living it happily
5. Besmirch (Verb):- charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone
Synonyms: asperse, calumniate, defame, denigrate, slander, smear, smirch, sully.
Uses: The scandalous remarks in the newspaper besmirch the reputations of every member of the society.
Trick: Besmirch= kisi ki achi reputation ko mirche lga ke bigadna.
6. Effervescent (Adjective):- marked by high spirits or excitement.
Synonyms: bubbling, frothy, sparkly.
Uses: American beauty has fertile effervescent mind. (I anticipate when she notices her name in this sentece she will be in euphoria):):)
7. Bowdlerize (Verb):- edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate
Synoyms: bowdlerise, castrate, expurgate, shorten
Uses: After the film editors had bowdlerized the language in the script, the motion picture’s rating was changed from “R” to “PG.”
8. Braggadocio (Noun):- vain and empty boasting.
Synonyms: bluster, rhodomontade, rodomontade.
Uses: There’s too much hyperbole and braggadocio, although sometimes the results are astonishing.
Trick: the word “brag” means boasting.. so from that it can be easily remembered.
9. Cantankerous (Adjective):- often angry and annoyed
Synonyms: ill humoured; irritable, ill tempered, fastidious, truculent,
Uses: Constantly complaining about his treatment and refusing to cooperate with the hospital staff, he was a cantankerous patient.
10. Burlesque (Verb):- give an imitation that ridicules.
Synonyms: parody, caricature, spoof, travesty.
Uses: In Spaceballs, Rick Moranis burlesques Darth Vader of Star Wars, outrageously parodying Vader’s stiff walk and hollow voice.
Trick: burlesque..can be pronounced as bure log in hindi..wha do bad ppl do?? ridicule others..