English Vocabulary Words – 64
Here is today’s 10 English words with their meaning (English/Hindi), a sentence, antonyms and synonyms. Keep following us for more updates
1. Portend (Verb):– Portend means to show a sign that something calamitous is about to happen.
Synonyms: augur, auspice, betoken, bode, forecast, foreshadow, foretell, omen, predict, prefigure, presage, prognosticate
Uses: These signs bode bad news.
Trick : When we reached the port’s end (sea port) we saw some dead bodies, which gave a sign that something bad was going to happen.
2. Splurge (Verb):– To splurge is to indulge yourself. You can also go on a splurge if you spend a lot or act extravagantly in another way.
Synonyms : flash, flaunt, ostentation, show off, swank
Uses: Greece had got into the habit of splurging on borrowed money.
Trick : when that special girl urges you to buy something prodigal, you buy it
3. Vilifies (Noun):– one who attacks the reputation of another by slander or libel.
Synonyms: backbiter, defamer, libeler, malinger, slanderer, traducer.
Uses: Let us watch with jealous care the honor of our country, and scorn the aspersions of its vilifies.
4. Conundrum (Noun):– a difficult problem.
Synonyms: brain-teaser, enigma, riddle, dilemma.
Uses: Europe’s conundrum
Trick: drum ke andar kaun hai.
5. Prospect (Noun):– A prospect is the possibility that something fabulous will happen.
Uses: The prospect of sanctions on Iranian oil being lifted has depressed prices further.
English Vocabulary help you define yourself
6. Repartee (Noun):– adroitness and cleverness in reply.
Synonyms: backchat, banter, give-and-take, raillery
Uses: It’s mostly in the repartee and interactions with secondary characters.
7. Indelible (Adjective):– cannot be removed or erased.
Uses: indelible memories.
8. Raconteur (Noun):– a person skilled in telling anecdotes.
Uses: Raconteurs are gifted storytellers, able to spin amusing tales from everyday life.
9. Turgid (Adjective):- ostentatiously lofty in style.
Synonyms: bombastic, declamatory, large, orotund, tumid.
Uses: The movie’s plot was so turgid that people left the theater completely confused.
Trick: TURGID= (TURBID and TURGID river). If there is extreme turbidity in the river, then the river must a turgid river(swollen),because it washes away the mud from the bank.
10. Quiescence (Noun):- a state of quiet (but possibly temporary) inaction.
Synonyms: dormancy, quiescence
Uses: While the bees are quiescent early in the morning and in the evening, they are overactive in the middle of the day.
Trick: quiet+essence- quality of being at rest or stillness.