English Vocabulary Words – 63
Here is today’s 10 English words with their meaning (English/Hindi), a sentence, antonyms and synonyms. Keep following us for more updates
Synonyms: byname, cognomen, moniker, nickname.
Uses: In the ‘Game of Thrones’ Tywin Lannister used to called as an Imp so the word ‘Imp’ is a ‘Sobriquet’ here.
Tricks: we know sabri(ramayana) by her name.
2. Bacchanal (N):- someone who engages in drinking bouts; a wild gathering involving excessive drinking and promiscuity
Synonyms: bacchanalia, debauch, debauchery, drunken revelry, orgy, riot, saturnalia.
Uses: a night of bacchanalian revelry
Tricks: Bachchan acted well in movie SHARABI.
3. Mortification (N):- strong feelings of embarrassment.
Synonyms: chagrin, humiliation.
Uses: he had to undergo one humiliation after another.
4. Enfeeblement (N):- serious weakening and loss of energy.
Synonyms: ebilitation, enervation, exhaustion
Uses: The boring class enfeebled my imagination.
5. Asceticism (N):- rigorous self-denial and active self-restraint.
Uses: When Gregory was a monk, he lived an ascetic lifestyle that excluded worldly goods.
Synonyms: painstaking, scrupulous, arduous, laborious, operose, punishing, toilsome, strenuous.
Uses: He received the employee of the year award because he was conscientious and hardworking.
7. Expostulation (N) :- the act of objecting; the act of expressing earnest opposition or protest.
Synonyms: objection, remonstrance, remonstration, demonstration.
Uses: The Prime minister went out of his way to expostulate his displeasure towards those who vandalized the church.
8. Abstemious (Adj.):- sparing in consumption of especially food and drink.
Synonyms: abstinent, abstentious, abstain.
Uses: The best way to avoid becoming obese is by being abstemious and only eating what is necessary to survive.
9. Brusque (Adj.):- Rough and abrupt in manner.
Synonyms: curt, terse, laconic, uncivil.
Uses: Because they are so busy, bank clerks often appear brusque.
10. Clandestine (Adj.):- Kept secret for a purpose, often for something illicit or evil.
Synonyms: secret, furtive, stealthy, surreptitious, underhand.