Current Affairs For 29th July 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. The Central Reserve Police Force Raising Day is observed every year on ________.
A. 25 July
B. 26 July
C. 27 July
D. 28 July
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has greeted all CRPF personnel on the 82nd Raising Day of the force.
● The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is India’s largest Central Armed Police Force.
● It functions under the authority of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) of the Government of India.
● The CRPF’s primary role lies in assisting the State/Union Territories in police operations to maintain law
and order and counter-insurgency.
● It came into existence as the Crown Representative’s Police on 27 July 1939.
02. Nation remembers former president Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on
his death anniversary. He served as the ________ president of India.
Explanation: The Nation remembers former president Dr A P J Abdul Kalam on his death anniversary on 27 July.
● Popularly known as people’s president and Missile Man of India, Dr. Kalam passed away in Shillong on 27th July
2015, while delivering a lecture to students.
● He was an Indian aerospace scientist and politician who served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007
03. Which of the following institute has recently developed wearable gadget ‘Veli Band’ for ensuring social distancing?
B. IIT Delhi
C. IIM Ahmedabad
D. IIT Kharagpur
Explanation: Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIMK)-based incubated startup has come up with a unique user-friendly wearable device that alarms proximity which helps in implementing social
● Known as the ‘Veli Band’, the wrist band has been developed by Qual5 India Pvt Ltd, a startup co-founded by a woman entrepreneur and mentored and funded by IIMK’s business LIVE, incubator, and entrepreneurship development centre.
04. Recently, Indian Railways started the constructing world’s first electrified tunnel to run double-stack containers in _______.
Explanation: Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd (DFCCIL) has recently conducted a tunnel-breaking ceremony on the completion of caving work for the one-kilometre long tunnel of Western Dedicated
Freight Corridor (WDFC) through Aravalli mountain range, near Sohna in Haryana.
● The tunnel connects Mewat & Gurugram district of Haryana and negotiates a steep gradient on the uphill and downhill slope of the Aravalli range.
05. After overtaking Exxon corporation, Reliance Industries became the world’s ________ largest energy company.
Explanation: Reliance Industries Ltd, controlled by Asia’s richest man, toppled ExxonMobil Corp to become the world’s largest energy company after Saudi Aramco.
● Reliance, which manages the biggest refinery complex, gained 4.3% in Mumbai adding $8 billion to take its market value to $189 billion, while Exxon Mobil erased about $1 billion.
● Aramco with a market capitalization of $1.76 trillion is the world’s biggest energy company.
06. Who among the following recently won the 2020 Football Writers’ Association (FWA) Footballer of the Year award?
A. Kevin De Bruyne
B. Jordan Henderson
C. Andrew Robertson
D. Jesse Lingard
Explanation: Liverpool’s Premier League title-winning captain Jordan Henderson was named England’s Footballer of the Year in the annual vote of the Football Writers’ Association (FWA).
● Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne, Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford and Liverpool pair Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mane made up the rest of the top five.
07. Recently, Benjamin Mkapa passed away. He served as the president of which of the following country?
Explanation: Tanzania’s former president Benjamin Mkapa died while being treated for an undisclosed illness.
● He worked to end conflict in East Africa during and after his decade in power from 1995.
● Mkapa won the country’s first multi-party elections in 1995 and was re-elected for a second five-year term in
08. Which of the following state/UT government has launched “Rozgar Bazar” portal?
B. New Delhi
C. Tamil Nadu
Explanation:Delhi government has launched the portal named as “Rozgar Bazar”.
● The portal will proved to be a boon for the employers as well as the job seekers.
● The recruiters can visit the website and update their requirements, similarly, job seekers are also required to visit the portal and update their qualification, experience and requirement.
09. Who among the following has conferred with the President’s
Award for Nurses in Singapore for serving on the frontline during the COVID-19 pandemic?
A. Clara Barton
B. Margaret Sanger
C. Kala Narayanasamy
D. Usha Nagisetty
Explanation: Indian-origin nurse, Kala Narayanasamy in Singapore has conferred with the President’s Award for Nurses for
serving on the frontline during the COVID-19 pandemic.
10. Recently, the 100th birth anniversary of Rosalind Franklin was observed. Rosalind Franklin was a/an ________.
C. Social activist
Explanation: 100th birth anniversary of Rosalind Franklin, a leading virologist of her time was observed recently.
● Rosalind Franklin (1920 – 1958) was an English chemist and X-ray crystallographer whose work was central to
the understanding of the molecular structures of DNA, RNA, viruses, coal, and graphite.