Current affairs coverage often showcases stories of individuals and communities making a positive impact.
Q1. Where is the 54th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) scheduled to be held in November 2023?
- New Delhi
- The 54th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) has officially unveiled its Indian Panorama selection for 2023. This includes a diverse range of 25 feature films and 20 non-feature films, all of which will be showcased during the festival held in Goa from November 20 to November 28.
- These films serve as a testament to the artistic brilliance and cultural richness of Indian cinema. Chosen by a 12-member feature film jury, led by TS Nagabharana, these movies promise to be a captivating experience for cinephiles.
- The Indian Panorama, curated by the National Film Development Corporation under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, handpicks films of exceptional cinematic, thematic, and aesthetic quality. This selection is the outcome of a meticulous process involving esteemed figures from the Indian film industry.
Q2. What organization is making the change to replace ‘India’ with ‘Bharat’ in upcoming books?
Ans:- 2) NCERT
- In a significant decision, the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has granted approval for the replacement of the term “India” with “Bharat” in all textbooks across the country.
- Among the noteworthy proposals is the substitution of the term ‘India’ with ‘Bharat’ in educational materials. This alteration is anticipated to signify the traditional and indigenous name for the nation. The intention behind this suggestion is to underscore the historical and cultural importance of the name ‘Bharat,’ while paying homage to the country’s rich heritage.
- Additionally, the committee has recommended a shift from ‘ancient history’ to ‘classical history’ in the curriculum. This modification aims to offer a more nuanced and comprehensive comprehension of India’s historical progression. It may involve a focused exploration of specific periods or aspects of India’s history considered classical, providing a deeper insight into the nation’s past.
Q3.Which two countries have made progress in border talks according to the statement?
- Bhutan and India
- Bhutan and Nepal
- Bhutan and China
- Bhutan and Bangladesh
Ans:- 3) Bhutan and China
- China and Bhutan have taken steps towards the resolution of their longstanding border disputes. The Foreign Minister of Bhutan paid a visit to Beijing for discussions with his Chinese counterpart, signaling positive progress in the negotiation process.
- Out of its 14 neighboring countries, China has border disputes with only two – India and Bhutan. The border disputes between Bhutan and China have been ongoing since the 1980s, particularly in areas like Jakarlung, Pasamlung, and Doklam.
- Bhutan’s stance is that discussions regarding tri-junction points (involving India, China, and Bhutan) can only commence after India and China address their own border concerns. Bhutan is closely observing the resolution of disputes between India and China before initiating comprehensive talks concerning tri-junction points.
Q4.What initiative has Sri Lanka announced to boost tourism?
- Free Visas for Indians
- Visa-on-Arrival for Indians
- Discounted Flight Tickets for Indians
- Free Accommodation for Indians
Ans:- 2)Visa-on-Arrival for Indians
- Sri Lanka has taken a significant step to reinvigorate its tourism sector by exempting tourists from seven countries, including India, from visa fees. This move is aimed at attracting a greater number of visitors and aiding the country in recovering from recent economic challenges.
- To enhance tourist influx, Sri Lanka’s Cabinet has launched a pilot project to grant free tourist visas to travelers from China, India, Russia, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Japan. This policy will remain in effect until March 31, 2024.
- India has traditionally been Sri Lanka’s primary source market. In the current year alone, over 2 lakh Indian tourists, constituting 20% of total arrivals, visited Sri Lanka up until September. Previously, Indian tourists were obligated to pay a $20 visa fee. However, this requirement has now been waived, simplifying and making travel to Sri Lanka more affordable for Indians.
Q5. Who inaugurated IFFCO’s Nano DAP Plant at Kalol in Gandhinagar, Gujarat?
- Narendra Modi
- Amit Shah
- Arvind Kejriwal
- Nitin Gadkari
Ans:- 2) Amit Shah
- Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation, Shri Amit Shah, inaugurated the Nano DAP (Liquid) Plant of the Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative (IFFCO) in Kalol, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Nano DAP (Liquid) is an innovative fertilizer containing 8 percent nitrogen and 16 percent phosphorus. This groundbreaking liquid fertilizer is set to replace the conventional 50 kg bags of DAP, which are currently priced at Rs 1,350 for farmers.
- Union Home Minister Shah highlighted the potential of liquid DAP and liquid urea in enhancing the population of earthworms in farmlands. This, in turn, promotes natural farming practices without compromising production and income. This transition towards more sustainable agriculture also contributes to land preservation, providing a comprehensive solution to address the challenges faced by Indian farmers.
26th October 2023
Q1. What is the name of the bilateral training exercise conducted between India and Malaysia?
- Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023
- Operation Shakti-Harimau 2023
- Joint Tiger Power 2023
- Operation Harimau Shakti 2023
Ans:- 1)Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023
- In a demonstration of their steadfast defense collaboration, the Indian and Malaysian armies have launched the “Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023.” This joint bilateral training endeavor, conducted at Umroi Cantonment in India, is designed to fortify military capabilities and amplify the coordination between the two nations.
- The Indian contingent, actively participating in the exercise, is being represented by a battalion of THE RAJPUT REGIMENT. The presence of this accomplished regiment underscores the pivotal role of the Indian Army in reinforcing defense alliances with friendly nations.
- “Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023,” slated to run until November 5, 2023, will involve approximately 120 military personnel from both sides. The primary objective is to augment military proficiency in executing Multi-Domain Operations within a sub-conventional setting. The previous edition of “Exercise Harimau Shakti” was held in Pulai, Kluang, Malaysia, in November 2022.
Q2.What is the current status of the Euro Zone PMI (Purchasing Managers’ Index)?
- Highest in 3 years
- Lowest in nearly 3 years
- Stable for the past year
- Not mentioned in the statement
Ans:- 2)Lowest in nearly 3 ye
- In October, businesses in the Euro Zone encountered a notable downturn, marked by a widespread decrease in demand, prompting apprehensions of a looming recession. The Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) for the region exhibited a sharp decline, signaling economic hurdles.
- The PMI for services plummeted to its lowest point in 32 months, underscoring a significant drop in demand. The manufacturing sector also faced challenges, experiencing a prolonged period below the growth threshold.
- Beyond the boundaries of the European Union, the UK witnessed reduced activity, further heightening concerns about a potential recession. Concurrently, global economic uncertainties are exacerbated by geopolitical tensions, particularly in regions such as the Middle East and Ukraine.
Q3. Which company has secured the bid to purchase PTC’s Wind Power Division for Rs 925 Crore?
- Reliance Industries
- Tata Power
- Adani Green Energy
Ans:- 1) ONGC
- The Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has successfully won the bid to acquire PTC India Ltd’s wind power division for Rs 925 crore. However, it’s important to note that this acquisition is contingent on the approval of PTC shareholders, which will ultimately determine its finalization.
- PTC India Ltd (PEL) was established on August 1, 2008, and holds a renewable energy portfolio with a combined capacity of 288.8 MW. In the fiscal year 2022-23 (covering April 2022 to March 2023), PEL reported a profit of Rs 13.88 crore, with a revenue of Rs 296.77 crore.
- ONGC has previously outlined an ambitious objective of achieving zero carbon emissions by 2038. To realize this goal, the company has committed to investing Rs 2 lakh crore, with Rs 1 lakh crore earmarked for the establishment of 10 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity, a green ammonia plant, and offshore wind energy projects by 2030.
Q4.Who has been announced as the brand ambassador for Lay’s?
- Virat Kohli
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Rohit Sharma
- Sachin Tendulkar
Ans:- 2) Mahindra Singh Dhoni
- Lay’s has proudly unveiled cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni as their brand ambassador for the campaign – ‘No Lay’s, No Game.’ This campaign, renowned worldwide for its affiliation with sports tournaments, is now set to captivate the Indian audience.
- In the TV commercial, as Dhoni goes from door to door, he elicits a range of reactions, from surprise to pure excitement, with some even searching for Lay’s. The advertisement beautifully captures the essence of the sports-watching experience, intertwined with the enjoyment of Lay’s, ultimately conveying the resounding message, ‘No Lay’s, No Game.’
Q5.What is the main request made by MeitY to RBI?
- To design more detailed KYC
- To implement stricter monetary policies
- To expand digital payment options
- To streamline foreign exchange regulations
Ans:- 1)To design more detailed KYC
- Illegal instant loan apps have emerged as a significant issue in India, resulting in financial frauds and, tragically, pushing some victims to extreme measures. These applications promise fast cash but often compromise users’ privacy and security. In response, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in India has put forth a potential solution.
- MeitY has engaged in discussions with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Department of Financial Services (DFS) to tackle this problem. MeitY has proposed the establishment of a comprehensive KYC (Know Your Customer) process known as KYDFA (Know Your Digital Finance App) for companies, akin to the KYC protocol for bank accounts.
- KYDFA is designed to ensure that only legitimate financial apps, adhering to legal requirements, can access the Indian banking system. It serves to identify and track illegal apps, enabling legal action against them. KYDFA will establish traceability, aiding authorities in tracing the source of illegal apps for necessary legal interventions.