Current Affairs 21th January 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. An International Team of
researchers led by which University
have developed a new approach to
survey African Elephants using
satellite images and Artificial
A. University of Cambridge
B. Stanford University
C. University of Oxford
D. Harvard University
Explanation: An International Team of researchers led by University of Oxford have developed a new
approach to survey African Elephants using satellite images and Artificial Intelligence.
● What is the new approach?
● The method uses satellite orbiting in space that is capable of capturing more than five
thousand square kilometers of images. The captured images is then processed through
a deep learning model that will detect elephants eliminated other objects.
● The International team used a customized dataset to cover more than a thousand elephants
in South Africa.
● The method eliminates the risk of double counting.
● Also, it makes it possible to conduct repeat surveys in short intervals.
● The method is capable of identifying calves separately.
02. Aurangabad was built in which year
by Malik Ambar of the Nijamshahi
Explanation: There is a long-standing demand of the Shiv Sena for renaming Aurangabad city in
Maharashtra as Sambahji Nagar.
● The city and its name:
● Aurangabad was built in 1610 by Malik Ambar of the Nijamshahi dynasty.
● It was renamed Aurangabad by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb when he made it his capital.
03. What is the total length of the Kochi-Mangaluru LNG pipeline?
A. 342 km
B. 450 km
C. 490 km
D. 560 km
Explanation: Inaugurated recently by PM.
● It is 450km long.
● It provides another 21 lakh PNG connections.
04. Asian Waterbird Census-2020 was
recently commenced in which state?
C. Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: The two-day Asian Waterbird Census-2020 commenced in Andhra Pradesh. Asian Waterbird Census is an annual event in which thousands of volunteers across Asia and
Australasia count waterbirds in the wetlands of their country.
● This event happens every January.
● This event is coordinated by wetlands International and forms part of global waterbird
monitoring programme called the International Waterbird Census (IWC).
● It was started in the year 1987.
● Its main focus is to monitor the status of waterbirds and the wetlands.
05. Which of the following ministry recently
organized “Udyog Manthan”?
A. Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
B. Ministry of External Affairs
C. Ministry of Commerce & Industry
D. Ministry of Finance
Explanation: Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry is organizing Udyog Manthan – a marathon of focused sector -specific webinars for promoting Quality and
Productivity in Indian Industry.
● It got underway on 04 January and will go on till 2nd of March.
● Each webinar will be two -hour session involving
discussions led by sectoral and industry experts in a
06. ‘C’ in PM CARES Fund Trust stands
Explanation: The Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in
Emergency Situations (PM CARES) Fund Trust is allocating
201.58 crore rupees for installation of additional 162
dedicated Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) Medical
Oxygen Generation Plants inside public health facilities in
07. Which of the following state
government has signed two loan
agreements of USD 646 million with
New Development Bank for upgrading
State Highway Network and District
C. Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: Government signed two loan agreements of USD 646
million with New Development Bank for upgrading State
Highway Network and District Road Network in Andhra
● The first project is Andhra Pradesh Roads and Bridges
Reconstruction Project comprising widening of 1,600
kilometre of State Highways to double lane and
reconstructing dilapidated bridges on the State Highway
08. Recently, Justice Hima Kohli has
become the first woman Chief
Justice of __________ high court.
Explanation: Justice Hima Kohli has become the first woman Chief Justice of Telangana High Court following her swearing-
● Telangana Governor Dr Tamilisai Soundararajan has administered oath to her at a special ceremony held at the
Darbar Hall of Raj Bhavan in Hyderabad.
09. Who among the following became
the first female match official in
men’s Test match?
A. Jacqueline Williams
B. Claire Polosak
C. Kathy Cross
D. Kim Cotton
Explanation: Australia’s Claire Polosak created history by becoming the first
female match official to officiate a men’s Test match.
● She took up the fourth umpire’s role in the third Test between
Australia and India at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
● The 32 -year -old already has the distinction of being the first woman on-field umpire in a men’s ODI match in ICC’s Division 2 league between Namibia and Oman played at the Windhoek in
10. Which of the following state
government has announced to cover
4000 villages under the Kisan
Explanation: Gujarat Government announced that 4000
villages would be covered under the Kisan
Suryoday Yojana by the end of January 2021
● Under this scheme, farmers are provided
power supply for irrigation during the day
● All villages of Gujarat will be covered by
2022 under this scheme.