Current Affairs 22th January 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. The new Director-General, Border Road Organisation (BRO), Lt General Rajeev Chaudhry briefed the Government of India about the Chattergala tunnel. Chattergala
the tunnel will be constructed in __________.
B. Arunachal Pradesh
C. Jammu and Kashmir
D. Himachal Pradesh
Explanation: The proposed Chattergala tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir will connect
district Kathua with district Doda enroute the new Highway via
Basohli-Bani through Chattergalla to touch Bhaderwah and Doda.
● It is going to be a 6.8 Km long tunnel. The tunnel is likely to take
about 4 years for completion after the execution work starts and
its construction cost is around Rs. 3,000 crore.
02. Recently, Union Minister for Science
& Technology inaugurated one of the
seven labs of the world called as the
centralized network lab of Coalition
for Epidemic Preparedness
Innovations (CEPI) established at
Explanation: Union Minister for Science & Technology inaugurated
one of the seven labs of the world called as the
centralized network lab of Coalition for Epidemic
Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) established at
Translational Health Science & Technology Institute
● The CEPI centralized laboratory at DBT-THSTI Faridabad
is first of its kind in India and one of the seven in the
03. What is the theme of the 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention?
A. Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India
B. Redefining engagement with the Indian diaspora
C. Contributing to Atma Nirbhar Bharat
D. Apna Bharat, Apna Gaurav
Explanation: The 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention is being
organized on 9th January in the virtual format in the backdrop of the COVID pandemic.
● The theme of the Convention this year is “Contributing to
Atma Nirbhar Bharat”.
● The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention will be
inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and will
feature a keynote address by the Chief Guest
Chandrikapersad Santokhi, President of Suriname.
04. Which of the following state has
recently launched the Krishi
Sanjeevani vans to test soil, water &
suggest remedies for pest control?
Explanation: Karnataka Chief Minister
B .S. Yediyurappa launched Krishi Sanjeevani vans in Bengaluru .
● The 40 vans flagged off will reach out to the agriculture fields to test soil, water and suggest remedies for pest control to improve yield .
● In future the Agriculture Department has proposed to attach one such van for every Farmers Assistance centre in the districts
05. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has set up an academic advisory council called ‘College of Supervisors (CoS)’ to further strengthen supervision over regulated entities. Who among the following will head this CoS?
A. BP Kanungo
B. MK Jain
C. MD Patra
D. N S Viswanathan
Explanation: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has set up an academic advisory council called ‘College of
Supervisors (CoS)’ to further strengthen supervision over regulated entities.
● The Cos will be headed by former deputy governor N S Viswanathan and will have five other
06. Which of the following bank has
announced the alliance with the
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT),
Kanpur and FIRST (Foundation for
Innovation & Research in Science
& Technology), to jointly establish
Innovation Centre at the IIT
A. Axis Bank
B. Yes Bank
C. Punjab National Bank
D. State Bank of India
Explanation: Punjab National Bank (PNB), the country’s second-largest
public sector bank, has announced an alliance with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur and FIRST (Foundation for Innovation & Research in Science & Technology), to jointly establish the Punjab National Bank – IIT Kanpur Innovation Centre at the IIT campus. ● Under this partnership, PNB and IIT -Kanpur will set up a
“Fintech Innovation Centre (FIC)” as a vehicle to research and
develop technological solutions to explore opportunities in
the BFSI space.
07. Which of the following has
announced the launch of its latest
pan-India investor awareness
nudging savers to become
A. SBI Mutual Fund
B. ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund
C. IDFC Mutual Fund
D. DSP Mutual Fund
Explanation: IDFC Mutual Fund announced the launch of its
latest pan -India investor awareness campaign PaisonKoRokoMat, nudging savers to become investors.
● With this new campaign, IDFC Mutual Fund aims to
shift the conversation regarding wealth creation
from the traditional to the contemporary.
08. Recently, Satya Paul passed away. He was a/an __________.
D. Fashion designer
Explanation: The world’s oldest living first-class cricketer Alan Burgess has
passed away at the age of 100.
● A right-hand batsman and slow left-arm bowler, Alan
appeared in 11 first-class matches for Canterbury from
1940/41 to 1951/52 and also for New Zealand Services in
England in 1945.
09. ‘SwasthVayu’, a Non-invasive
Ventilator, which was seen in the
news recently, was developed by
D. IIT Madras
Explanation: CSIR -NAL scientists along with medical professionals from
CSIR-IGIB came forward to address the shortages of ventilators in the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic and indigenously designed and developed the non -invasive level positive airway pressure ventilator –SwasthVayu.
● The performance of the device has been evaluated and it has
been concluded that SwasthVayu may be used on Covid -19 patients who require oxygen supplementation up to 35%.
10. Who among the following
permanently suspended US
President Donald Trump’s
Explanation: Twitter permanently suspended US President Donald
Trump’s account on January 8, 2021, citing the risk of
further incitement of violence following violence and
security breach at the US Capitol building on January 6th
by Trump supporters.