Current Affairs 26th January 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. India’s renewable power capacity is
the __________ largest in the world.
Explanation: The renewable energy capacity in India is currently
136 Giga Watts, which is about 36 percent of the
country’s total capacity.
● In the last 6 years, India has increased installed
renewable energy capacity by two and half times.
02. The Hualong One is the first
domestically developed nuclear
reactor of __________.
A. South Korea
Explanation: China National Nuclear Corp (CNNC) has developed its first
Hualong One, a third-generation pressurized water nuclear
reactor, has started operations and is connected to the grid.
● Hualong One is designed to have a 60-year lifespan and its
reactor core needs refueling every 18 months.
03. Dev Deepawali festival is being observed in ___________.
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi visit his parliamentary
constituency Varanasi and took part in the world-famous
Dev Deepawali festival.
● Mr Modi dedicated to the nation the six-lane widening project of the Handia (Prayagraj)- Rajatalab (Varanasi) section of National Highway 19.
● Dev Deepawali, which has become a world-famous festival
of light and fervor in Varanasi is celebrated on every
Poornima of the Kartik month.
04. Recently, Insurance Regulatory
and Development Authority of
India (IRDAI) gave in-principle
approval for the merger of Bharti
AXA General with __________.
A. IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Company Limited
B. TATA AIG
C. ICICI Lombard
D. HDFC ERGO General Insurance
Explanation: Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of
India (IRDAI) gave in-principle approval for the
the merger of Bharti AXA General with ICICI Lombard.
● Marking a major consolidation move in the
insurance space, the proposed deal was announced
in August this year.
● Bharti Enterprises currently owns 51 per cent stake
in Bharti AXA General Insurance, while French
insurer AXA has 49 percent.
05. Recently, Dave Prowse has passed
away. He was a/an _________.
Explanation: Dave Prowse, the British actor behind the menacing
The black mask of Star Wars villain Darth Vader has died at
the age of 85.
● Prowse, who was a weightlifter-turned-actor, was
selected to portray Darth Vader for his imposing
the physique of 6-foot-7 inch.
● Prowse wore the black suit and helmet to play Darth
06. Recently, Kiran Maheshwari has passed
away. She was a/an _________.
Explanation: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA from Rajasthan’s Rajsamand, Kiran Maheshwari, who had tested positive for the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) last month, passed
● Maheshwari was also a member of the 14th Lok Sabha
from 2004-2009 from Rajasthan’s Udaipur constituency.
07. Recently, an Assistant Commandant
of Commando Battalion for Resolute
Action (COBRA) passed away.
COBRA is a special operation unit of
A. Central Industrial Security Force
B. Central Reserve Police Force
C. Railway Protection Force
D. Indo-Tibetan Border Police
Explanation: An Assistant Commandant of Central Reserve Police Force’s
(CRPF) CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) was
killed and eight others were injured in an IED blast triggered by
Maoists in the Talmetala area of Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district.
08. Which of the following country’s
the prime minister has not participated
in the meeting of heads of
government of Shanghai
Cooperation Organisation (SCO)?
Explanation: Indian Vice president M Venkaiah Naidu chaired the
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s (SCO) council
of heads of government summit, and both Prime
Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistani
counterpart Imran Khan has not joined the virtual
09. Recently, Sadiq al-Mahdi passed
away. He was the former prime
minister of __________.
Explanation: Leading Sudanese politician and former prime minister Sadiq
al-Mahdi died from a coronavirus infection three weeks after
being hospitalised in the United Arab Emirates.
● Mahdi was Sudan’s last democratically elected prime minister
and was overthrown in 1989 in the military coup that bought
former president Omar al-Bashir to power.
10. Which of the following state has
launched Rs 1,000-cr Jagananna
B. Tamil Nadu
D. Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy
launched the Jagananna Thodu scheme, which aims at
providing a helping hand to small and petty vendors across
● Interest-free loans up to Rs 10,000 will be provided to
small and petty vendors under the scheme and nearly 10
lakh vendors have applied to avail the scheme.