Current Affairs For 20th MAY 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, UPSC Based exam, WBCS, State level civil service, et.
01. Rajeev Satav, who passed away at the age of 46 years due to Covid-
19, Which profession he belongs to?
Explanation: Senior Congress leader and Rajya Sabha MP Rajeev Satav, a close associate of Rahul Gandhi, died at the age
of 46 years due to Covid-19.
• He was the son of former state minister Rajani Satav.
• He was a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament from Maharashtra.
• He was formerly a Member of Parliament in 16th Lok Sabha from Hingoli in Maharashtra.
• He was the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in charge for the State of Gujarat and Permanent Invitee to
Congress Working Committee, the highest decision-making body of Indian National Congress.
02. Tribal Affairs Ministry and which company have signed an MoU
for the digital transformation of Tribal Schools?
Explanation: Tribal Affairs Ministry and Microsoft have signed an MoU for the digital transformation of Tribal Schools such as
Eklavya Model Residential Schools and Ashram Schools.
• The collaboration seeks to skill educators and students in next-generation digital technologies including
• Under the program, 250 Eklavya Model Residential school have been adopted by Microsoft out of which 50
schools will be given intensive training.
• The program will prove beneficial in terms of readiness, preparedness of the students at various international
03. In recent days,K. K. Aggarwal, who died due
to Covid-19 complications at the age of 62 years, What was he well known for?
Explanation: Former national president of the Indian Medical Association and Padma Shri awardee Dr. KK Aggarwal died because of Covid-19 at the age of 62 years.
• He will be remembered for his indomitable dedication towards public welfare.
• He did his MBBS from Nagpur University in 1979 and obtained an MD from the same university in
• He was a senior consultant at Moolchand Medcity, New Delhi, India, until 2017.
• The Government of India honored him with the Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian award,
for his contributions to the field of medicine in 2010.
04. Ex-union minister & BJP leader Chaman Lal Gupta, who passed away, was born in
a) Jammu and Kashmir
Explanation: Veteran BJP leader and former union minister Chaman Lal Gupta died after a prolonged illness at
the age of 87 years.
• He was born in 1934 in Jammu and did his MSC from G. M. Science College Jammu and
• He became a member of the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly for the first time in 1972.
• He was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from Udhampur constituency of Jammu in 1996 and re-
elected to 12th and 13th Lok Sabha in 1998 and 1999.
• He was union minister of state of defence from 2002 to 2004.
05. Government of which state has
launched ‘HIT Covid App’ to ensure
regular monitoring, tracking of
home isolated patients?
a) Himachal Pradesh
Explanation: Bihar government has launched ‘HIT Covid App’ to ensure regular monitoring and tracking of those Covid-19 patients,
who are in home isolation across the state.
• HIT, which stands for home isolation tracking will help the health workers in regular monitoring of home – isolated
• Health workers will visit the patients at home every day and feed data in the app after measuring their temperature
and oxygen level.
• If the oxygen level is below 94, the patient will be shifted to the nearby dedicated Covid health centres for proper
06. Who has been named as the batting coach of Indian women’s cricket team?
a) Sanjay Bangar
b) Anil Kumble
c) Shiv Sunder Das
d) Anshuman Gaekwad
Explanation: Former Test opener Shiv Sunder Das has been named batting coach of the Indian women’s cricket
team only for the upcoming seven-match tour of England.
• He has polished his skills as a batting coach at the National Cricket Academy under Rahul Dravid’s
• The tour comprises a one-off Test, three One-day Internationals, and three T20 Internationals in
• Former Indian Railways player Abhay Sharma has been named the fielding coach.
• Abhay Sharma is a part of a nine-member support staff headed by chief coach Ramesh Powar.
07. Centre has released over Rs 5950 Crore to how many States in current financial year for implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission?
Explanation: The Jal Jeevan Mission was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 15th August, 2019
with the aim to provide assured tap water supply to every rural home by 2024.
• It is being implemented in partnership with States and Union Territories.
• Centre has released over Rs 5950 Crore to 15 States in the current financial year for the
implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission.
• This is the first tranche of the four to be released in this financial year.
• Over 21.5 per cent households have been provided with tap water supply despite challenges
faced due to COVID-19 pandemic.
• Goa, Telangana, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Puducherry have become ‘Har Ghar Jal’ States
or Union Territories.
08. Central public sector undertakings (CPSUs) have contributed how much amount to the PM-Cares Fund to strengthen the fight against Covid-19?
a) Rs 896 crore
b) Rs 925 crore
c) Rs 659 crore
d) Rs 545 crore
Explanation: Central public sector undertakings (CPSUs) under the Union power ministry have contributed about Rs 925
crore to the PM-Cares Fund to strengthen the fight against Covid-19.
• These CPSUs include large companies such as the NTPC, the Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCIL),
National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) and sector lenders like Power Finance Corporations (PFC)
and Rural Electrification Corporation (REC).
• Power CPSUs have together set up Covid care facilities at more than 200 locations which act as isolation
centres for their own employees as well as the contractual employees.
• NTPC has placed orders for 11 oxygen generation plants in the NCR and setting up two other large oxygen
generation plants with bottling facility.
• The company has also set up a 500-bed Covid health centre at Sundargarh, Odisha, where 20 ventilators have
09. Which among the following education company has
Explanation: upGrad is India’s largest online higher education company which was founded in the
• upGrad for Business, the B2B arm of South Asia’s largest online higher education
company upGrad, launches Education@Work – A Corporate Digital Campus.
• upGrad will enable organisations with 100+ education courses for their employees
across MBA Degrees, Data, Technology, and Behavioral disciplines.
10. Which of the following General Insurance Company has set up a task force to manage claims of Cyclone Tauktae?
a) Shriram General Insurance
b) SBI General Insurance
c) Kotak Mahindra General Insurance
d) Edelweiss General Insurance
Explanation: Non-life insurer SBI General Insurance Company Ltd has set up a task force to manage queries
relating to claims due to cyclone Tauktae in Kerala, Goa and Maharashtra.
• The task force will manage cyclone damage related queries and claims on fast track mode.
• The company will monitor the in-coming information and is equipped to respond to all the