Current Affairs For 19th MAY 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, UPSC Based exam, WBCS, State level civil service, et.
01. Malerkotla, has been declared as the 23rd independent
district of which of the following state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh declared Malerkotla as the 23rd district of Punjab on the occasion of Eid-ul-
• Malerkotla has been declared as an independent district, as it was a long pending demand of the Muslim
community and the residents of the town.
• The government had promised that Malerkotla will be declared a district soon in 2017.
• Government Medical College, in the name of Nawab Sher Mohammed Khan, would also be set up at a cost of Rs
• Chief Minister also announced a sum of Rs 6 crore under the Urban Environment Improvement Program (UEIP) to
ensure holistic urban development of Malerkotla.
02. Delhi government will give how much amount to auto, taxi drivers facing financial hardships due to Covid-19?
a) Rs 2000
b) Rs 5000
c) Rs 3000
d) Rs 1000
Explanation: Delhi Cabinet has approved the Rs 5,000-assistance scheme to auto – taxi drivers to help them cope with their financial hardships arising due to the second wave of Covid-19.
• The financial assistance of Rs 5,000 will be handed out to all the individuals holding public service badge (drivers) of para transit vehicles and permit holders of para transit public service vehicles.
• Delhi currently has over 2.8 lakh PSV badge holders and 1.9 lakh permit holders are eligible to apply for the scheme and the Delhi transport department has already made necessary budgetary provisions for the same.
03. Indian Railways has commissioned Wi-Fi at how many Railway stations in five years?
Explanation: Railways has commissioned Wi-Fi at six thousand Railway stations in five years.
• Indian Railways continues to contribute to Digital India initiative and connect different parts of the country with
high speed Wi-Fi facility.
• With the commissioning of Wi-Fi at Hazaribagh Railway station in Jharkhand, Indian Railways commissioned
Wi-Fi at six thousand Railway stations.
• Railways started its journey by providing Wi-Fi facility at 1st Railway station Mumbai in January 2016.
• This facility was provided with the help of RailTel, a Public Sector Undertakings under the Ministry of Railways.
04. Bhilai Steel Plant, which played an important role in supply of
medical oxygen for Corona patients is located in which state?
a) Madhya Pradesh
d) Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: Bhilai Steel Plant, a unit of Steel Authority of India, is playing an important role in the supply of
medical oxygen needed for Corona patients.
• It is India’s first and main producer of steel rails, as well as a major producer of wide steel plates
and other steel products.
• It has been the flagship integrated steel plant unit of the Public Sector steel company, the Steel
Authority of India Limited and is its largest and most profitable production facility.
• It was set up with the help of the USSR in 1959.
05. Who among the following won the
10th Men’s Singles tennis title at
the 2021 Italian Open?
a) Rafael Nadal
b) Novak Djokovic
c) Roger Federer
d) Andy Murray
Explanation: Rafael Nadal defeated defending champion Novak Djokovic in the final to win his 10th Men’s
Singles tennis title at the 2021 Italian Open.
• This marks the fourth time that Rafael Nadal has won a tournament on 10 or more occasions.
• Polish teenager Iga Swiatek won the Women’s Singles title of Italian Open after defeating Karolina
• In the men’s doubles, Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic won the title after defeating Rajeev Ram of the
USA and Briton Joe Salisbury.
• Women’s Doubles title has been clinched by Sharon Fichman and Giuliana Olmos after defeating
Kristina Mladenovic and Marketa Vondrousova in the finals.
06. Which country withdrawan from the Asian qualifiers for
the 2022 FIFA World Cup and the 2023 AFC Asian Cup?
d) North Korea
Explanation: Asian Football Confederation confirmed the withdrawal of North Korea from the Asian qualifiers for the 2022
FIFA World Cup and the 2023 AFC Asian Cup.
• Prior to their withdrawal, North Korea ranked fourth in Group H after five matches, just one point behind
group leaders Turkmenistan.
• The group also includes South Korea, Lebanon and Sri Lanka.
• The group’s remaining matches will be played in South Korea in a centralised manner in June.
• North Korea would also not participate in the Tokyo Olympic Games due to concerns over the Covid-19
07. International Hockey Federation (IHF), which postponed the Belgium-
Argentina Pro League ties due to COVID-19 what is headquartered
of the International Hockey Federation (IHF)?
a) Rome, Italy
b) London, United Kingdom
c) Lausanne, Switzerland
d) Brussels, Belgium
Explanation: International Hockey Federation Pro League matches between Belgium and Argentina scheduled
for May 22 and 23 in Antwerp have been postponed due to Covid-19.
• The FIH, in coordination with national hockey associations of Belgium and Argentina, is currently
looking at all potential options to play these matches at a later date.
• FIH, is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey.
08. World Hypertension Day, is observed every year on
which of the following date?
a) May 18
b) May 25
c) May 11
d) May 17
Explanation: World Hypertension Day is celebrated by World Hypertension League (WHL) annually on 17 May.
• The day is celebrated to spread awareness about hypertension disease, its prevention, detection,
• World Hypertension Day was first inaugurated first of all in May 2005. This day encourages citizens
of all countries to prevent and control it.
• The theme of World Hypertension Day 2021 is “Measure Your Blood Pressure Accurately, Control
It, Live Longer.”
09. World Telecommunication and Information Society Day, commemorates the founding of the International Telecommunication
Union (ITU) in which year?
Explanation:World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is celebrated every year on May 17 to raise
awareness about the importance of communication and focuses on increasing the United Nations
Sustainable Development Goals.
• The Day commemorates the founding of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) on 17 May,
• On 17 May 1969 first time World Telecommunication Day was celebrated annually, marking the
founding of ITU and the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention in 1865.
• The theme of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) 2021 is “Accelerating
digital transformation in challenging times.”
10. Team of researchers from which Indian Institute of Technology, developed algorithms for lensless cameras?
Explanation: Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras and Rice University, U.S, have developed
algorithms for lensless, miniature cameras.
• The lensless cameras have numerous vision applications in sectors including augmented reality,
virtual reality, security, smart wearables and robotics where cost, form-factor and weight become
• IIT-M researchers have used ‘Deep Learning’ to develop a reconstruction algorithm called FlatNet for
lensless cameras resulting in significant improvement.
• FlatNet was tested on various real and challenging scenarios and was found to be effective in de-
blurring images captured by the lensless camera.