Helloo..!!Our Current Affairs Digest covers a broad spectrum of topics, including politics, economy, science, technology, environment, arts, sports, and more. We aim to present a diverse range of subjects to cater to a wide range of interests.
Q1.Which body approved the Women Reservation Bill?
- President of India
- Supreme Court
- The Union Cabinet has taken a monumental step by giving the nod to the Women Reservation Bill. This bill mandates that one-third of the seats in both the Lok Sabha and state assemblies will be set aside for women candidates. This measure is aimed at advancing gender equality and augmenting the presence of women in India’s legislative bodies.
- To ensure impartiality and a balanced distribution, the reserved seats will be subject to rotation after each general election. This mechanism prevents the concentration of reserved seats in the hands of specific political parties or individuals.
- Furthermore, the Bill also advocates for sub-reservation within the 33 percent quota, specifically for Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs), and Anglo-Indians. This sub-reservation underscores the importance of addressing intersecting inequalities and fostering diversity in political representation.
Q2.What is the African Union planning to launch?
- Stock Exchange
- Credit Ratings Agency
- Investment Fund
- Central Bank
Ans:-2) Credit Ratings Agency
- In response to perceived biases in credit assessments of African nations, the African Union is gearing up to launch its own credit ratings agency in the upcoming year. This initiative aims to provide a more impartial evaluation of lending risks associated with African countries and stimulate investment in the continent.
- The African credit rating agency will primarily operate within the African continent and will be financially self-sufficient. Its main objective is to offer an additional perspective for investors when deliberating on African bonds or extending private loans to African nations, as outlined by the African Union.
- Credit ratings serve as a fundamental gauge of the likelihood of a borrower defaulting on their obligations and hold significant sway over the terms under which banks and other financial institutions extend loans.
Q3.Who is associated with the Gandhi Walk in Johannesburg?
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Nelson Mandela
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Winston Churchill
- After a hiatus of three years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 35th edition of the annual Gandhi Walk made a triumphant return in the predominantly Indian suburb of Lenasia, Johannesburg.
- Over two thousand participants enthusiastically embraced the event’s new format, which featured a delightful six-kilometer walk along with a range of entertainment. This year’s walk deviated from the traditional competitive nature, placing a greater emphasis on enjoyment and camaraderie.
- A notable presence at the event was Harivardan Pitamber, a striking doppelgänger of Mahatma Gandhi. Pitamber has been an integral part of the Gandhi Walk for many years, lending an authentic touch and a profound connection to Mahatma Gandhi himself, thereby enriching the experience for all participants.
Q4.Which countries are part of the G77 group?
- 77 Developed Countries
- 77 African Nations
- 77 Least Developed Countries
- 77 Developing Nations
Ans:-4)77 Developing Nations
- The G77+China Summit, spanning two days, concluded recently, signifying a pivotal moment for the aspirations of the Global South within the international governance framework. This gathering convened delegations from over 100 nations, boasting participation from over 30 heads of state and government.
- A notable outcome of the summit was the declaration by developing nations, designating September 16 as the annual “Day of Science, Technology, and Innovation in the South.” This endeavor seeks to garner support from the global community, the UN system, and international financial institutions to bolster the endeavors of Southern nations in advancing their respective science and innovation sectors.
- Founded in 1964, the Group of 77 (G77) encompasses over 130 member nations, with its leadership rotating among member nations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. It is worth highlighting that G77 member countries collectively represent over 80 percent of the world’s population and constitute more than two-thirds of UN member nations.
Q5. What is the primary cause of the strain in India-Canada relations?
- Allegations of Sikh Separatist Involvement
- Trade Disputes
- Border Disputes
- Environmental Concerns
Ans:-1) Allegations of Sikh Separatist Involvement
- Canada’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, announced that there was “credible” information linking Indian government agents to the murder of a Sikh separatist leader in British Columbia. The announcement marks a significant worsening of bilateral ties.
- Recently, there was a tragic incident where Hardeep Singh Nijjar was fatally shot outside a Sikh temple in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. Nijjar had been advocating for the creation of an independent Sikh nation called Khalistan within India’s Punjab state. He was wanted by Indian authorities and was officially labeled as a “terrorist” in July 2020. Nijjar held a prominent position as the leader of the Khalistan Tiger Force, an organization that India has designated as a terrorist group.
- This incident has given rise to discussions on social media regarding potential connections between Indian intelligence agencies and these overseas deaths, including those that occurred on Canadian soil.
Q6.Who launched the Griha Adhar Scheme in Goa?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- CM Pramod Sawant
- President Ram Nath Kovind
- Union Minister Amit Shah
Ans:-2) CM Pramod Sawant
- Chief Minister Pramod Sawant took a significant step towards enhancing the financial independence and well-being of homemakers in Goa by distributing Griha Adhar sanction orders to numerous beneficiaries across the state.
- The Griha Adhar initiative, spearheaded by the Directorate of Women and Child Development, marks a significant leap forward in women’s empowerment. By extending financial support to homemakers, this initiative aims to promote self-reliance and elevate their overall quality of life.
- In addition to the Griha Adhar initiative, Chief Minister Sawant introduced another transformative program – Chavath-e-Bazaar. As part of the Swayampura Goa Programme, this digital venture is tailored to empower Goan entrepreneurs and self-help groups. Leveraging the potential of e-commerce, Chavath-e-Bazaar seeks to provide a platform for local artisans and entrepreneurs to showcase their products to a broader audience.
Q7.What is the new name of the Udhampur Railway Station?
- Udhampur Junction
- Captain Tushar Mahajan Junction
- Martyr Captain Tushar Mahajan Railway Station
- Udhampur Central
Ans:-3)Martyr Captain Tushar Mahajan Railway Station
- Following the approval of an order by the Jammu and Kashmir administration, the Udhampur railway station has been officially renamed as the ‘Martyr Captain Tushar Mahajan Railway Station’ as a tribute to the valiant Army officer.
- The Northern Railway has issued a notice to inform the public of this change. As of now, the station formerly known as UDHAMPUR (UHP) in the Firozpur Division of Northern Railway will be referred to as “Martyr Captain Tushar Mahajan (MCTM) Railway Station.”
- Captain Tushar Mahajan, a committed officer in the Indian Army, made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. He served with distinction as a member of the esteemed 9 Para Special Forces, commonly known as the ‘9 Parachute Commando.’ Captain Tushar Mahajan was born on May 25, 1987, in Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir, India.
Q8.What organization has raised India’s growth forecast for FY24?
- United Nations
- World Bank
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)
- IMF (International Monetary Fund)
Ans:-3)OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)
- The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has upgraded its growth projection for India’s GDP in the fiscal year 2024 to 6.3%, up from the earlier estimate of 6%. This positive adjustment is attributed to favorable agricultural outcomes driven by conducive weather conditions.
- Additionally, the OECD has revised India’s inflation forecast, anticipating it to be 5.3%, compared to the previous estimate of 4.8% made in June. While headline inflation has dipped in many nations due to declining food and energy prices in the first half of 2023, core inflation has not experienced a significant slowdown.
- The OECD report suggests there is room for moderate policy easing in several major economies, including India, Indonesia, Mexico, and South Africa, over the next year. However, it recommends a cautious approach to monetary policy until clear signs of sustained relief from inflationary pressures emerge.
Q9.What is the aim of the initiative in relation to rural youth?
- Employment generation
- Skill development and empowerment
- Providing financial aid
- Offering free education
Ans:-2) Skill development and empowerment
- Union Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, in collaboration with Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, launched the innovative ‘Skills on Wheels’ initiative.
- This visionary program aims to boost the employability of rural youth, preparing them for the demands of the future job market. The initiative is a joint venture between the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and IndusInd Bank.
- Over a course of five years, ‘Skills on Wheels’ aspires to empower and upskill an impressive 60,000 rural youth. The ultimate aim is to improve the livelihoods of rural households by equipping their youth with essential skills. A key focus of this initiative is to provide crucial digital skills to rural youth, with a special emphasis on women.
Q10. Who won the Air Rifle Gold in the Rio World Cup?
- Abhinav Bindra
- Apurvi Chandela
- Elavenil Valarivan
- Gagan Narang
- Indian shooter Elavenil Valarivan displayed exceptional skill and unwavering composure to secure a remarkable victory in the women’s 10m air rifle event at the ISSF World Cup 2023 held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The 24-year-old Olympian’s stellar performance earned her the coveted gold medal in a thrilling competition.
- During the final of the women’s 10m air rifle event, Elavenil Valarivan showcased precision and composure by achieving an impressive score of 252.2 from a series of 24 shots. This outstanding performance allowed her to narrowly outperform France’s Oceanne Muller, who scored 251.9. Jiale Zhang of the People’s Republic of China secured the final podium position with a score of 229.0. In a highly competitive field, a total of eight shooters qualified for the final showdown.