Current Affairs 9th November 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. According to the study by Mercom
Communications, India is
________ largest solar market in
Explanation: India installed 7.3 gigawatt (GW) of solar power across the country in 2019 (CY19), consolidating its
position as the third-largest solar market in the world, according to a recent study.
● Trina Solar was the leading module supplier to India in terms of cumulative shipments, while Waaree
Energies, Adani, and Risen Energy held the top spot.
● The top 10 module suppliers accounted for over 62 percent of the market in 2019.
02. Which of the following state has
become the first in the
northeastern region to develop a
mobile COVID-19 sample
Explanation: In Tripura, Agartala Municipal Corporation (AMC) with Agartala Smart City has designed a three-wheeler
heavy-duty auto rickshaw into mobile COVID-19 sample collection kiosk where medical staffs can collect swab
samples without physical contact with patients.
● The glass encasement will ease the requirement of wearing Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) while
collecting swab samples from people claiming that this kind of mobile testing vehicle would be the first of its
kind the whole northeastern region.
03. Which of the following state has
imposed a COVID-19 cess on
diesel and petrol?
B. Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: Nagaland government has imposed Covid-19 cess on diesel and petrol to meet the financial exigencies
arising out of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
● Nagaland government has imposed Covid-19 a Rs 5 per liter cess on diesel and Rs 6 per liter on petrol and other motor spirits.
04. Recently, Which of the following
country gained top spot in the ICC
Test rankings after replacing
A. South Africa
D. New Zealand
Explanation: India lost the top spot in the ICC Test rankings to Australia.
● With Australia taking the top spot, India has slipped to the 3rd spot and New Zealand has gained 2nd
position in the ICC test rankings.
● The latest update has rated the matches played since May 2019 at 100 percent and matches from the
previous two years at 50 percent.
05. What is the theme of World
Press Freedom Day 2020?
A. Keeping Power in Check:
B. Media for Democracy
C. Keeping Power in Check
D. Journalism without Fear or
Explanation: World Press Day is observed every year on 3 May.
● Each year this special day is observed to celebrate the spirit of journalism and to pay gratitude to
those journalists who lost their lives in order to bring us honest and real news about happenings in
the nation, city or state.
● This year the theme of world press freedom day 2020 is ‘Journalism without Fear or Favour’.
06. In the Spring season, the
International Astronomy Day is
observed every year on
A. 01 May
B. 02 May
C. 03 May
D. 04 May
Explanation: International Astronomy Day is celebrated twice a year, one in autumn and another in spring.
● The Astronomy Day 2020 is celebrated on May 2. The world will celebrate the next Astronomy Day on
● On this day, museums, societies, astronomical institutions and planetariums organise seminars, workshops
and other fun-filled activities to spread awareness about the world of astronomy.
07. Nation celebrated the birth
centenary of legendary filmmaker
Satyajit Ray on 02 May. He was
awarded an oscar award in the
Explanation: Nation celebrates the birth centenary of legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray on 02 May.
● Ray was born on this day in 02 May 1921.
● He directed 36 films in his lifetime.
● Ray got Oscar award in 1991 besides he was recipient of Dadasaheb Phalke , Bharat Ratna and many other
08. India is at ________ place in
terms of number of Ph.D
awarded in Science and
A. 2 nd
Explanation: India occupies 3rd rank in terms of the number of Ph.D.’s awarded in Science and Engineering (S&E)
after the USA (39,710 in 2016) and China (34,440 in 2015).
● Number of researchers per million population in India has increased to 255 in 2017 from 218 in 2015
and 110 in 2000.
09. The Ministry of Tourism hosted
the 13th webinar titled
‘Destination- Sariska Tiger
reserve’ of “Dekho Apna Desh”
series. Sariska Tiger reserve is
A. Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: The 13th session of Ministry of Tourism’s Dekho ApnaDesh webinar on 1st May 2020, titled,
‘Destination- Sariska Tiger reserve’ was a presentation and virtual tour of wildlife adventure, safari
experience for the traveller within the Sariska Tiger Reserve’ in Alwar district, Rajasthan.
● Sariska Tiger Reserve is located in the Aravalli Hills, 35 km from Alwar, 250 km SW of Delhi and 110 km
NE of Jaipur.
10. The Himachal Pradesh
government decided to launch a
programme guaranteeing at
least _________ employment to
those living in urban areas.
A. 90 days
B. 100 days
C. 120 days
D. 150 days
Explanation: The Himachal Pradesh government decided to launch a programme guaranteeing at least 120 days’ employment to
those living in urban areas.
● The cabinet decided to launch the Mukhya Mantri Shahari Rojgar Guarantee Yojna, under which 120 days’ assured
employment will be provided to people living in urban areas.