Current Affairs 8th October 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Ratings agency ICRA has revised its
forecast for the contraction in India’s
FY21 GDP to _________ from its
earlier assessment of 9.5 per cent.
Explanation: Rating agency ICRA has revised its forecast for the contraction in India’s FY21 GDP to 11 percent from its
earlier assessment of 9.5 percent.
● The rating agency cited the elevated levels of Covid-19 infections at the end of Q2FY21.
02.Which of the following has
recently launched its new brand
campaign titled ‘Contactless
A. Axis Bank
B. Visa Card
C. SBI Card
D. Samsung Pay
Explanation: SBI Card has launched its new brand campaign titled ‘Contactless Connections’. ● It aims to spread the message that love and care can be
shared even during this difficult period where social
distancing is the norm.
● Contactless payments, enabled by SBI Card, allow
consumers to simply wave their card or phone or scan a QR
code to make safe, secure payments, without handing over
their card or punching in the PIN.
03. The Maharashtra government
announced the Gan Samragni Lata
Mangeshkar award for the year 2020-
21 to __________.
A. Asha Bhosle
B. Anuradha Paudwal
C. Usha Mangeshkar
D. Kumar Sanu
Explanation: The Maharashtra government announced the Gan
Samra Lata Mangeshkar award for the year 2020-21 to
veteran female playback singer Usha Mangeshkar.
● The award include cash prize of five lakh rupees, a
certificate and a memento.
● The veteran singer has sung songs in Marathi, Hindi and
several other Indian language films.
04. India has recently signed an
agreement with which of the
following country to support the
decarbonisation and energy
Explanation: NITI Aayog and Embassy of the Netherlands,
New Delhi have signed an SOI (Statement of Intent)
to support the decarbonisation and energy
transition agenda for accommodating cleaner and
● As per the Ambassador of the Netherlands to India,
the SOI will not only boost the economies of the two
nations but will also help in achieving the UN
Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
05. Recently, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad-al
Sabah passed away. He was the ruler
of which nation?
B. Saudi Arabia
Explanation: The ruler of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad-al Sabah passed away.
● In the emir’s absence, his duties were assigned to his half-brother Crown Prince Nawaf al-Ahmad al Sabah in
accordance with the constitutional law.
● With the emir’s death, the years prince has been recognized by the cabinet to take Sabah-al Ahmad’s place as
the monarch of the country.
06. Recently, The World Health
Organisation has praised which
Indian state government for
efficient COVID-19 management?
The World Health Organisation (WHO) praised the Odisha
state government recently for its efficient COVID
management, despite witnessing a huge influx of migrants
and tackling Cyclone Amphan during the crisis phase.
● It also highlights other key features that resulted in a low
number of cases, including Odisha being the first state to
order the closure of many public places on March 13 even
though the state had not a single reported case.
07. According to India Meteorological Department, India has received, __________ monsoon during the four- month South West Monsoon season from June to September.
A. below normal monsoon
B. normal monsoon
C. above normal monsoon
D. Vigorous monsoon
Explanation: The country has received above normal monsoon during
the four-month South West Monsoon season from June to
● This is for the second consecutive year that the country
received above-normal rainfall.
08. The Union Minister of Fisheries
released the 2nd edition of the
newsletter “Matsya Sampada” and a
Beneficiary Booklet on Pradhan
Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
(PMMSY). PMMSY was launched with
an outlay of __________.
A. Rs. 10,000 crore
B. Rs. 15,150 crore
C. Rs. 17,550 crore
D. Rs. 20,050 crore
Explanation: The Union Minister of Fisheries released the 2nd edition of the newsletter “Matsya Sampada” and a Beneficiary
Booklet on Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) which provides a comprehensive outline of the
different components/activities of the PMMSY scheme.
● PMMSY is a flagship scheme for focused and sustainable development of the fisheries sector in the country as a
part of the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
● Its t otal estimated investment will be of Rs. 20,050 crores to be implemented over a period of 5 years from FY
2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
09. International Day of Older Persons
is observed every year on
A. 29 September
B. 30 September
C. 01 October
D. 02 October
Explanation: International Day of Older Persons is observed globally on 1st October every year.
● The day is an opportunity to highlight the important contributions that older people make to society and
raise awareness of the opportunities and challenges of ageing in today’s world.
10. The WHO has advised that a country
needs _________ tests per day per
Explanation: India has exceeded the 140 per day per million tests as advised by the World Health Organization by more than five times.
● Very high levels of testing lead to early identification, prompt
isolation and effective treatment of COVID19 cases.
● In July 2020, the WHO has advised that a country needs 140 tests
per day per million population.