Current Affairs 7th September 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Recently, Purushotham Rai
passed away. He was a/an
Explanation: India’s former athletic coach Purushotham Rai passed away.
● The former coach passed away a few hours before receiving the Dronacharya Award, the highest sporting
award for a coach in India.
● He became the third person from the state of Karnataka to win the Dronacharya award in Athletics.
02. Which of the following country
chaired the ‘East Asia Summit
Explanation: The 8th East Asia Summit (Economic Ministers’ Meeting) was held virtually to strengthen the
regional supply chains, become resilient during this challenging time of Covid-19 pandemic,
and to spur economic growth.
● The meeting was attended by the Economic ministers from the 10 ASEAN (Association of
Southeast Asian Nations) members and eight other nations, including India, the US, China,
Japan, South Korea, Russia, Australia and New Zealand.
● The East Asia Summit 2020 was chaired by Vietnam’s Industry and Trade Minister Tran Tuan
● The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Piyush Goyal represented India in the
03. Who among the following became the first woman of Indian origin to be commemorated by the distinct blue London plaque?
B.Noor Inayat Khan
Explanation: World War II spy Noor Inayat Khan is now the first woman of Indian origin to be
commemorated by the distinct blue London plaque.
● While Khan is the first woman of Indian origin to be honoured with a blue plague, it has been
erected on houses and venues associated with several Indian men including Mahatma Gandhi,
Raja Ram Mohon Roy, and B R Ambedkar.
04. Mustapha Adib will be appointed
as the next prime minister of
Explanation: Lebanon’s ambassador to Germany Mustapha Adib is on course to become the country’s
next prime minister after securing major political backing.
● Mr. Adib was named by four former prime ministers on the eve of binding consultations
between the president and parliamentary blocs on their choice for the post.
● The government, led by Hassan Diab, quit this month amid anger over an explosion in the capital Beirut.
05. Trade ministers of India, ________,
and _______ plans a new supply
chain initiative along with to counter
A. Australia, USA
B. Japan, Russia
C. Russia, Australia
D. Australia, Japan
Explanation: Trade ministers of India, Australia, and Japan in a meeting decided to soon launch an initiative on supply
chain resilience and invited like-minded countries in the Indo-Pacific region to join the initiative.
● The move aims to counter China’s dominance of global trade and supply chains.
● The creation of the “Supply Chain Resilience Initiative” was mooted by Japan amid the Covid-19 crisis.
06. Recently, Which of the following
state has been paired with
Karnataka under Ek Bharat
Shreshtha Bharat programme?
D. Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: Uttarakhand and Karnataka are paired under Ek Bharat
Shreshtha Bharat programme to promote national integration
through mutual understanding.
● Both the states have established relations through sports, trade
● Uttarakhand has inspired people in Karnataka in forest
● The famous Chipko Andolan or hug the trees movement of
Uttarakhand had inspired Appiko Andolan in Uttara Kannada
district of Karnataka.
07. Arunodoi scheme is associated
with which of the following Indian
C. Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: The Assam government is taking steps to implement the Arunodoi scheme from 2nd of October 2020.
● 830 rupees will be given per month to beneficiary families under the scheme.
08. Recently, the Indian Bank has
announced a cut of 5 basis points
in its marginal cost of funds based
lending rate (MCLR) for one-year
tenure. Indian Bank is
headquartered in ________.
Explanation: State-owned lender Indian Bank has announced a cut of 5 basis points in its marginal cost of funds based lending rate
(MCLR) for one-year tenure.
● The bank has decided to reduce the MCLR for one-year tenure by 5 basis points to 7.30 per cent effective from
September 3, 2020.
09. Who among the following recently
assumed charge as new Election
Commissioner of India replacing
A. Pradeep Mohanty
B. Sandeep Pandey
C. Rajeev Kumar
D. Amar Mohapatra
Explanation: Rajeev Kumar assumed charge as the new Election Commissioner of the country.
● A 1984 batch IAS officer, Mr Kumar retired as the Finance Secretary.
● Mr Kumar joins the Election Commission of India with Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora
and Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra.
10. Who among the following assumed charge as the Chairman and Managing Director of state- owned defence shipbuilder, Hindustan Shipyard Ltd?
A. M. S. Pawar
B. S. M. Nanda
C. Ram Dass Chaudhary
D. Hemant Khatri
Explanation: Commodore, Hemant Khatri (Retd) has assumed charge as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-owned
defence shipbuilder, Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
● He will replace Rear Admiral L V Sarat Babu (Retd).
● Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) is a shipyard located in Visakhapatnam on the east coast of India.