Current Affairs 3rd January 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Prime Minister to unveil Statue of
Peace in _________.
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the Statue of Peace
through video conferencing to mark the 151st Birth Anniversary
celebrations of Jainacharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji
● The Statue to be unveiled in his honour has been named as ‘Statue of Peace’. ● The 151 inch tall statue has been made from Ashtadhatu, 8
metals, with Copper being the major constituent, and is being
installed at Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Pali,
02. National Epilepsy Day is observed
every year on ___________.
A. 14 November
B. 15 November
C. 16 November
D. 17 November
Explanation: Every year, the National Epilepsy Day is celebrated on November 17.
● The day is celebrated to create awareness about epilepsy.
● Epilepsy is a chronic brain disorder. It results in recurrent fits or
● The seizures occur due to sudden and excessive discharges occurring
in brain cells or neurons.
● Mostly epilepsy occurs in patients who are over the age of 65 and in
03. Peru’s president Manuel Merino
was forced out of power just five
days after taking office. What is
the capital of Peru?
Explanation: Peru’s fifth president in five years, Manuel Merino, was forced
out of power just five days after taking office.
● The turmoil began on November 9, when centrist Martin
Vizcarra, Merino’s popular predecessor in office, was impeached
by the Peruvian legislature on grounds of “permanent moral
incapacity” over unproven charges of corruption.
04. Which of the following country is
supposed to sign an defence pact
with Australia to counter China?
Explanation: Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and his
Australian counterpart, Scott Morrison, may agree to
sign a defense agreement in a bid to counter China
’s a growing influence in the South China Sea and over the
Pacific island nations.
● This defense agreement has taken six years to
negotiate and would need to be ratified by lawmakers
of both countries.
05. The second phase of Exercise
Malabar 2020 will be conducted in
A. South China Sea
B. Phillipine Sea
C. Chukchi Sea
D. Northern Arabian Sea
Explanation: The second phase of Exercise Malabar 2020 will be
conducted in the Northern Arabian Sea from 17
November to 20th November.
● This phase will involve coordinated operations of
increasing complexity between the navies of Australia,
India, Japan and the United States.
● Phase Two will witness joint operations, centered around
the Vikramaditya Carrier Battle Group of the Indian Navy
and Nimitz Carrier Strike Group of the US Navy.
06. Which of the following institute
has formulated efficient “pincer”
catalytic systems that transform
biomass wastes into valuable
A. IIT Madras
B. IIT Guwahati
C. IIT Mumbai
D. IIT New Delhi
Explanation: A research team of IIT Guwahati has formulated
efficient “pincer” catalytic systems that transform
biomass wastes into valuable chemicals.
● Tiny amounts of these “pincer catalysts” repeatedly
convert large amounts of industrial waste such as
glycerol into lactic acid and hydrogen.
● Such catalysts also efficiently convert bioethanol, a
low-energy density fuel, into high-energy density
07. Who among the following has been
appointed as state icon of Punjab
by the Election Commission of
A. Sonu Sood
B. Akshay Kumar
C. Gurdas Maan
D. Diljit Dosanjh
Explanation: Actor Sonu Sood has been appointed as state icon of Punjab by the Election Commission of India (ECI).
● The decision of honouring Sonu Sood with the title comes after
he earned laurels for his humanitarian work during the
● Sonu has been helping migrant workers reach their hometowns
amid the coronavirus pandemic.
● He also helped people by giving them face masks, food, mobile
phones and more.
08. Mohinder Pal Singh is associated
with which of the following sports?
Explanation: The Sports Ministry has sanctioned Rs. ten lakh towards the
treatment of hockey Olympian Mohinder Pal Singh.
● Mr Singh is suffering from a chronic kidney ailment and is
currently on dialysis.
● The money, sanctioned under the Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya
National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons, was given to his wife
● Mr. Singh, who was the coach of the Indian Hockey team, was
an outstanding hockey player who represented India at various
international events, including the 1988 Summer Olympics.
● He was also a member of the Indian Hockey team that won the
Asian Cup in 2007
09. Recently, Nobel prize winner,
Masatoshi Koshiba passed
away. He was from _________.
A. South Korea
Explanation: Japanese physicist Masatoshi Koshiba, who shared 2002 Nobel
the prize for the detection of cosmic neutrinos passed away.
● His student, Takaaki Kajita, won the Nobel Prize in physics in 2015 for research at the Super -Kamiokande facility that found neutrinos have
10. The Union government has
extended the tenure of
Enforcement Directorate (ED) by a
year. Who among the following is
the current Director of ED?
A. Ramesh Prajapat
B. Sanjay Kumar Mishra
C. Sanjeev Pandey
D. Seema Anand
Explanation: The Union government has extended the tenure of
Enforcement Directorate (ED) Director Sanjay Kumar Mishra
by a year after modifying his appointment order that was
issued in 2018.
● His tenure was to end next week as the ED director’s post
comes with a fixed term of two years.