Current Affairs For 25th July 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. In July 2020, Which of the following country got observer status in the World Trade Organization?
Explanation: Turkmenistan has been granted Observer status by the World Trade Organization (WTO) General Council.
● Turkmenistan has become the last former Soviet republic to establish formal ties with the trade body.
● Neighbouring Central Asian countries- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Afghanistan – have acceded to the WTO, while Uzbekistan has been in on-and-off negotiations on WTO accession since 1994.
02. Which of the following country has launched its 1st independent
mission to Mars “Tianwen-1”?
A. North Korea
B. South Korea
Explanation: China has successfully launched “Tianwen-1” , its first independent mission to Mars.
● A Long March 5 rocket carrying the spacecraft ignited at the Wenchang Space Launch Site in south China’s tropical Hainan province.
● China had launched an orbiter destined for Mars on a Russian rocket in 2011, but the mission failed because the rocket malfunctioned.
03. On 23 July, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation
stone for the Water Supply Project in ________.
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the Manipur Water Supply Project through video conferencing.
● The Centre initiated the Jal Jeevan Mission to provide safe and adequate quantity drinking water to every rural household of the country by 2024 with the motto “Har Ghar Jal”
04. Which of the following state governments has signed an MoU with IIT Ropar for skill development?
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Tamil Nadu
C. Andhra Prade
Explanation: The Punjab government has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, in the area of skill development.
● The MoU provides for the IIT’s technical education department to become an academic mentor for the state’s engineering colleges at Gurdaspur and Ferozepur, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Skill Institute at Chamkaur Sahib, five government polytechnics and 10 government ITIs.
05. Who among the following has been appointed as the Secretary
East, in the Ministry of External Affairs?
A. Vikas Swarup
B. Riva Ganguly Das
C. Harsh Vardhan Shringla
D. Navtej Sarna
Explanation: India’s High Commissioner to Bangladesh, Riva Ganguly Das is appointed by the Government as the Secretary East, in the Ministry of External Affairs.
● Das is an Indian Foreign Service officer of 1986 batch.
● He will succeed Ms Vijay Thakur Singh after her retirement on 30th September this year.
06. Who among the following steps down as the chairman of Bajaj
A. Tapan Singhel
B. Rahul Bajaj
C. Shishir Bajaj
D. Rohan Bajaj
Explanation: Business tycoon Rahul Bajaj will step down as chairman of Bajaj Finance Ltd on 31 July after 33 years.
● He will hand over the reins to his son Sanjiv Bajaj as part of succession planning at the non-banking financial company.
● Bajaj will continue to serve as a non-executive, non-independent director.
07. Who among the following has been appointed as the honorary
adviser of the steering committee for BRICS Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI)?
A. Rajat Singh
B. Akshay Pandey
C. Sahil Seth
D. Naveen Tomar
Explanation: The Deputy Commissioner of Mumbai Customs Sahil Seth was appointed as the honorary adviser of steering committee for BRICS Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI)
08. Which of the following country has launched Jet Zero Council to cut airline emissions?
Explanation: UK Prime Minister has launched a new Jet Zero Council to tackle aviation emissions as part of a wider 350-million pound plan to step up efforts to tackle climate change.
● The Jet Zero Council will bring together the government, environment sector and aviation and aerospace industry experts to work towards an ambition of the first-ever zero-emission long-haul passenger plane
09. Recently, a yellow turtle is known as the “Indian flap shell turtle” has been discovered in ________.
B. Tamil Nadu
Explanation: In Odisha’s Balasore district, a farmer has spotted a turtle which is yellow in colour and according to the experts, it is the product of albinism.
● The turtle is known as the “Indian flap shell turtle”.
● The turtle is commonly found in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Myanmar. It is omnivorous and its diet consists of frogs, snails and even some aquatic vegetation
10. The Indian Air Force has decided to procure HAMMER missiles from which of the following country?
Explanation: The Indian Air Force has decided to procure HAMMER missiles from France to further boost its combat capabilities.
● The order is currently being processed by the government under the emergency financial powers given to the armed forces amid the India-China border standoff.