Current Affairs For 20th July 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Which of The following Day observed every year on Nelson Mandela International Day?
Explanation: Nelson Mandela International Day is an annual international day in honor of Nelson Mandela, celebrated each year on 18 July, Mandela’s birthday.
● The day was officially declared by the United Nations in November 2009, with the first UN Mandela Day held on 18 July 2010.
02. India has been ranked at _______ place in the list of most-suitable locations for global manufacturing.
Explanation: India ranks third in the list of most-suitable locations for global manufacturing among 48 countries in terms of cost competitiveness and operating conditions.
● China and the U.S. retain the top two positions, while India has moved one place higher to rank third.
03. Which of the following bellow related to “PM SVANidhi”?
A.Children’s below 6 months of age
Explanation: PM SVANidhi was launched in New Delhi to bring micro-credit facilities for street vendors at their door steps.
● PM SVANidhi Mobile App aims to provide user-friendly digital interface for lending institutions and their field functionaries for sourcing and processing loan applications of street vendors under the scheme.
04. Which of the following state governments has decided to convert waste generated in the state to electricity under an initiative titled ‘Waste to Energy’?
Explanation: The Uttarakhand government has decided to convert waste generated in the state to electricity under an initiative titled ‘Waste to Energy’.
● This waste can generate up to 5 megawatts of electricity and curb pollution.
● The scheme also aims to solve the problem of unavailability of landfills to dispose of the solid waste across the hill state which has 10 out of 13 districts as hill areas.
05. Which of the following state government has included the transgender community under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana?
C. Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: The Odisha Government has included transgender community under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana, which aims at providing financial assistance to destitute elderly, differently-abled persons and widows in the state.
● Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY) is a social security scheme launched by the state government.
● Under this scheme, around 5,000 transgenders will receive Rs 500, Rs 700 and 900 per month as a pension under various categories depending on their age.
06. Who among the following has been appointed as personal secretary to the President of India?
A) Shakti Kumar
B) P Praveen Siddharth
C) Maneesh Pandey
D) Rohan Madhur
Explanation: The Centre curtailed the tenure of Vikram Singh, Private Secretary (PS) to President Ram Nath Kovind, and appointed him as the Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Shipping.
● P Praveen Siddharth, a 2001-batch officer of Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax), has been appointed as the new PS to the President in place of Singh.
07.As said by RBI, Which of The Following Bank has approved the reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan as MD & CEO?
Explanation: Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the reappointment of Shyam Srinivasan as the MD & CEO of the Federal Bank, w.e.f. September 23, 2020.
08.Ali Bongo Ondimba has been appointed the first female Prime Minister of __________.
Explanation:The president of Gabon, Ali Bongo Ondimba, has appointed the country’s first female prime minister, Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda.
● Ossouka Raponda, 56, was promoted from the defence ministry and took over from Julien Nkoghe Bekale, who was appointed prime minister in January
09. Who among the following has been appointed as an ambassador for Toronto International Film Festival?
C.Priyanka Chopra Jonas
Explanation: Priyanka Chopra Jonas announced that she has been chosen as the ambassador of the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2020.
● Priyanka has joined the list of 50 celebrated filmmakers and actors who are invited as the ambassadors of the TIFF.
10. Recently, Ramesh Tikaram passed away. he was a/an _______.
Explanation:Arjuna awardee, para-athlete and para-badminton player, Ramesh Tikaram passed away due to COVID-19.
● He won many medals in shotput and Javelin throw including an international meet in Nottingham in 1995.
● He was awarded the Arjuna Award for his excellence in para-athletics and badminton in 2002.