Current Affairs 17th September 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Recently, A prominent public figure Ziauddin Tariq Ali passed away. He
belongs to which of the following country?
Explanation: Liberation war fighter and a prominent public figure of Bangladesh Ziauddin Tariq Ali passed away in Dhaka.
● He was a member of the cultural group ‘Muktir Gaan ’, that
inspired the freedom fighters through their songs during the
Liberation War in 1971
● He was instrumental in setting up the Liberation War
Museum in Dhaka in 1996 with contributions from the
02. Recently, Jiri Menzel passed away.
He was a/an ________.
B. Social activist
C. Film Director
Explanation: Oscar-winning Czech film director, Jiri Menzel passed away.
● His 1st feature film, ‘Closely Watched Trains’ won an Academy Award (Oscars) for Best Foreign Language film in
● Menzel won the Czech Lion for lifetime artistic contribution and was honored by the Karlovy Vary festival.
03. Who among the following has
became the first woman
commander to head the Central
Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
formation in the Kashmir
A. Charu Sinha
B. Shruthi Mohan
C. Seema Agarwal
D. Laxmi Pandey
Explanation: IPS officer Charu Sinha has become the first woman commander to head the Central Reserve
Police Force (CRPF) formation in the Kashmir Valley.
● A few years ago, Sonali Mishra, IPS officer of the 1993-batch Madhya Pradesh cadre, had served
as the IG of another paramilitary force, the Border Security Force, in Kashmir.
04. Who among the following Indian is known as the ‘Fastest Human
Calculator of the World’?
A. Indrajeet Nair
B. Neelakantha Bhanu Prakash
C. GaganDeep Prajapat
D. Akash Mohan
Explanation: The Fastest Human Calculator of the World, Neelakanta Bhanuprakash and an aspiring educational activist, is
advocating for change in the way Mathematics is being taught in schools currently.
● In August 2020, after winning gold for India in the Mental Calculation World Championship at Mind Sports
Olympiad (MSO), 20-year old Neelakanta Bhanu Prakash has become the fastest human calculator in the world.
05. Which of the following state ranks
first in tracing record of accused
through finger print database?
A. Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: According to ‘Finger Prints in India 2019’ report released by the National Crime Records Bureau, the Finger Print
Bureau under Directorate of Forensic Science in Gujarat topped the list by tracing 69,636 cases last year.
● This was followed by Tamil Nadu and Delhi.
06. Director-General of the National The mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) stated that, Ganga waters along 97 towns on the river’s main stem will
be restored to ‘bathing quality’ within two years. Who among the
following is the current DG of NMCG?
A. Randeep Desai
B. Rajiv Ranjan Mishra
C. Prabath Raj
D. Pankaj Negi
Explanation: The Director General of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), Rajiv Ranjan Mishra
informed that the Ganga waters along 97 towns on the river’s main stem will be restored to
‘bathing quality’ within two years.
● In Uttarakhand, up to Haridwar, water quality already meets the prescribed bathing quality
07. What is the name given to the 24X7
toll free mental health rehabilitation
helpline launched by the Indian
Explanation: Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry have launched a toll-free mental health rehabilitation helpline “KIRAN”.
● The helpline was launched in view of the growing incidence of Mental Illness, particularly in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
● The helpline – 1800-500-0019 will provide relief and support to persons with mental illness.
08. International Literacy Day is observed
every year on ________.
A. 05 September
B. 06 September
C. 07 September
D. 08 September
Explanation: Countries across the world celebrate International Literacy Day on 08 September.
● International Literacy Day-2020 will focus on Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis
and beyond with a focus on the role of educators and changing pedagogies.
● This day was declared International Literacy Day by UNESCO on 26th October 1966 at the 14th
Session of UNESCO’s General Conference.
09. The first-ever International Day of
Clean Air for Blue Skies was
observed on ________.
A. 04 August
B. 05 August
C. 06 August
D. 07 August
Explanation: The world celebrated its first-ever International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies on September 7.
● Part of a resolution taken by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on December 19,
2019, the day intends to emphasize on the ill-effects of air pollution and is a call to action against environmental evil.
10. Which of the following country’s
government has decided to provide
subsidies that are moving from
China to India, Bangladesh?
Explanation: The Japanese government has said that it will provide subsidies to Japanese companies that shift their
manufacturing setup from China to India, Bangladesh and ASEAN Countries.
● This comes as the world’s supply chain was disrupted after the outbreak of COVID-19 which originated in
● The countries have now started mulling on options to either exit from China or at least reduce their
dependence on it with respect to trade or other procurements.