Current Affairs 17th October 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Recently, Jeff Weiner has
announced that he will step down
from the position of CEO. He was
working as the CEO of ________.
Explanation: LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner is stepping down after 11 years at the helm of the popular professional
social networking company owned by Microsoft.
● He will be replaced in June by Ryan Roslansky, a senior vice president in charge of product who
has been at LinkedIn since before the Microsoft acquisition.
02. Rakhi Halder won gold at the
Senior Women’s National
Championship. He is associated
with which of the following
D. Shot put
Explanation: In Senior Women’s National Weightlifting Championships, Rakhi Halder of Bengal
has bagged gold in the 64kg category of the 35th edition of the event in Kolkata.
● At the Commonwealth Championship in June 2019, Halder who is also an Indian
Railways employee had clinched the gold with a total lift of 214-kg.
03. Who among the following has
become the youngest president
of Cricket Association Bengal?
A. Avinash Thakur
B. Avishek Dalmiya
C. Manoj Dubey
D. Sourav Ganguly
Explanation: Former BCCI president late Jagmohan Dalmiya’s son Avishek became the youngest
president of Cricket Association Bengal after being elected unopposed.
● The CAB president’s post was lying vacant after former India captain Sourav Ganguly took
over the reins of the BCCI.
04. Which of the following state has
launched ‘Janasevaka’ scheme for
home delivery of govt services?
Explanation: The Karnataka government launched the Janasevaka scheme in a few municipal corporation
wards to ensure home delivery of various services like ration cards, senior citizen identity and
05. International Day of Zero
Tolerance for Female Genital
Mutilation is observed every year
A. 02 February
B. 06 February
C. 04 February
D. 07 February
Explanation: International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation, is observed globally on 6
● Female genital mutilation (FGM) comprises all procedures that involve altering or injuring the
female genitalia for non-medical reasons and is recognized internationally as a violation of the
06. Who among the following returned
to Earth after breaking the world
record for the most time spent by
a woman in space?
A. Anne McClain
B. Peggy Whitson
C. Christina Koch
D. Sally Ride
Explanation: NASA’s astronaut Christina Koch returned from space to Earth safely.
● Koch returned after an 11-month mission, breaking the world record for the most time
spent by a woman in space.
● Koch has spent 328 days on International Space Station ISS.
07. India ranks ________ on the global
Intellectual Property index.
Explanation:India slipped to 40th position on the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index, which
analyses the IP climate in 53 global economies.
● The US, the UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the
intellectual property index in 2019 retaining their spots from the last year.
08. India – Central Asia Business
Council was held in _______.
B. New Delhi
Explanation: India – Central Asia Business Council organized by FICCI was held in New Delhi.
● External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar called upon Indian businesses to take
initiatives vis-a-vis the Central Asian markets.
09. Recently, First case of Swine Flu
detected in Cuttack hospital,
Swine Flu is caused by the
Explanation: The first case of Swine Flu (H1N1) has been detected in Srirama Chandra Bhanja
Medical College and Hospital (SCB) Hospital, Cuttack in Odisha.
● The person belongs to the Dhenkanal district.
10. Which of the following is not
correct with after the
announcement of new monetary
policy in February 2020?
A. Policy repo rate : 5.15%
B. Reverse repo rate : 4.90%
C. Marginal Standing Facility
(MSF) rate : 5.40%
D. Bank Rate: 5.40%
Explanation: Policy repo rate : 5.15%
● Reverse repo rate : 4.90%
● Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate : 5.40%
● Bank Rate: 5.40%
● CRR: 4%
● SLR : 18.25%