Current Affairs 13th September 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. According to the recent data by
the National Statistical Office,
India’s April-June quarter GDP
contracted by _________.
Explanation: India’s April-June quarter GDP contracted by a massive 23.9 per cent year-on-year (YoY), the first GDP contraction in
more than 40 years.
● India’s economy had expanded by 3.1 per cent in the March quarter and dragged FY20 GDP growth to 4.2 per cent,
the weakest since the global financial crisis.
● The highest drop was witnessed by the construction industry of 50.3%.
02. Facebook has decided to ban political
ads a week before which nation’s
Explanation: Facebook announced recently that it will ban political advertising the week before the US election.
● The move is one of the social media giant’s most sweeping moves against disinformation yet as
CEO Mark Zuckerberg warned of a “risk of civil unrest” after the vote.
03. Which of the following country
commits the policy of no arms
supply to Pakistan?
Explanation: Russia assured that it will follow a policy of ‘no arms supply to Pakistan’ following a request from India.
● India and Russia also agreed to increase the engagement of their defence industries and finalised a
major deal, under which an AK203 assault rifles factory will be established at Amethi.
04. Which of the following state
government has banned online
gambling games like Rummy,
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: Andhra Pradesh cabinet has approved a proposal to amend Andhra Pradesh Gaming Act, 1974, to ban online
games such as rummy and poker that involve money transactions.
● The proposed amendment to the AP Gaming Act provides for six months imprisonment for those who indulge in
playing them and one year jail term for the organisers.
● For a second violation of the ban, the imprisonment will be for two years along with fine for repeat offenders.
05. International Day of Charity is
observed every year on ________.
A. 02 September
B. 03 September
C. 04 September
D. 05 September
Explanation: The International Day of Charity is an international day observed annually on 5 September.
● It was declared by the United Nations General Assembly in 2012.
● The date of 5 September was chosen in order to commemorate the anniversary of the passing away of Mother Teresa
06. Khaleda Zia is the former Prime
Minister of ________.
C. Sri Lanka
Explanation: Government of Bangladesh has suspended the jail sentence of former Prime Minister Khaleda
Zia for six more months on health grounds.
● The decision has been taken so that the 75 year old leader can receive necessary medical
treatment, reports the official news agency BSS.
07. Which of the following statement is
correct with reference to Dr Sarvepalli
A. He was awarded Bharat Ratna in
B. In 1952, Dr Sarvepalli was
appointed as the first Vice
President of India
C. In 1972, he was appointed as the
President of free India.
a. B only
b. A and B
c. B and C
d. A and C
In 1947, when India achieved its independence, Dr
Sarvepalli represented India at UNESCO (1946
and was later declared Ambassador of India to the
Soviet Union, from 1949 to 1952.
● He was also elected to the Constituent Assembly of
● He was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1952
● In 1952, Dr Sarvepalli was appointed as the first Vice
President of India.
● Then, in 1962, he was appointed as the President of
08. The 11th edition of exercise INDRA
NAVY begins in ________.
A. Sea of Azov
B. Bay of Bengal
C. Chukchi Sea
D. Bering Sea
Explanation: The 11th edition of exercise INDRA NAVY, a biennial bilateral
maritime exercise between Indian and Russian Navy begins in the
Bay of Bengal.
● Initiated in 2003, Exercise INDRA NAVY epitomizes the long -term the strategic relationship between the two Navies.
● Due to restrictions imposed by the COVID -19 pandemic, INDRA NAVY
-20 would be undertaken in a ‘non -contact, at sea only’ format.
09. Which of the following has
emerged as the winner of All
India Management Association
(AIMA) – Chanakya (Business
Simulation Game) National
Management Games 2020?
A. Indian Oil
B. Indian Railways
C. NTPC Limited
D. Bharat electronics Limited
Explanation: Team NTPC overcame a stiff challenge to emerge as winner at the recently concluded All India
Management Association (AIMA) – Chanakya (Business Simulation Game) National
Management Games 2020.
● The victory was also significant since NTPC won the prestigious National Management Games
for the first time in five years.
10. Recently, the Fifteenth Finance
Commission held discussions
with its Economic Advisory
Council. Who among the following
is the current chairman of the 15th
A. N. K. Singh
B. Ajay Narayan Jha
C. N. S. Vishwanathan
D. Y. Venugopal Reddy
Explanation: The Fifteenth Finance Commission held discussions
with its Economic Advisory Council.
● The meeting discussed a range of issues around GDP
growth, tax buoyancy of the Centre and the States,
GST compensation and fiscal consolidation.
● The meeting was chaired by N. K. Singh, Chairman of
Fifteenth Finance Commission.