Current Affairs 29th November 2018
- The Uttarakhand government has decided to rename the Dehradun airport after former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- India’s premier National Research Laboratory CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (CSIR-IMTECH) announced a new partnership with Merck, a leading German science and technology company, to establish a ‘High End Skill Development Centre’ in CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh.
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, received the first copy of the book “Making of New India: Transformation under Modi Government”, from Shri Arun Jaitley, Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs. Shri Jaitley formally released it at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- G-20 Summit 2018 held at Buenos Aires, Argentina. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the summit.
- Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman has formally launched ‘Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti’, in New Delhi. The event showcased salient inventions and innovations achieved by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) and Ordnance Factories (OFs) which have resulted in the successful filing of Intellectual Property Right (IPR) applications.
- Ukraine’s parliament has imposed martial law in the country to fight what its president called “growing aggression” from Moscow after a weekend naval confrontation off the disputed Crimean Peninsula in which Russia fired on and seized three Ukrainian vessels amid renewed tensions between the neighbors.
- Nepal government has launched a Social Security Scheme for formal sector workers of the country. PM of Nepal KP Sharma Oli stated that it was very necessary to strengthen the system in which the government is accountable to its people. People of all ages and categories would be included in the scheme.
BANKING & ECONOMY
- Markets regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) has fined brokerage house Anand Rathi Rs 1 lakh for violating stock broker norms by transferring funds from the client’s account to own account and vice versa on several occasions.
- The Reserve Bank has launched a survey to gauge their scope with respect to turnover, profitability, and workforce with an aim to create a profile of India’s startup sector. The survey would also throw light on the problems faced by the startup sector.
- Odisha is hosting the Hockey World Cup 2018. The opening ceremony of Men’s Hockey World Cup took place at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar. The opening ceremony, which was almost a three-hour long, conveyed a powerful message of “oneness of humanity”.
- Hospitality startup OYO has appointed Max Healthcare Executive Director Rohit Kapoor as the CEO of its new real estate business. Rohit Kapoor stated that he is thrilled to join OYO’s mission of upgrading different forms of real estate and creating unique accommodations experiences.
- Singer Mohammed Aziz has passed away aged 64 following a cardiac arrest in Mumbai. He was returning from Kolkata when he collapsed at the airport.
- Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants, has passed away at the age of 57. He was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as motor neurone disease (MND), in March 2017.