Current Affairs 16th January 2021
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. Recently, The Defence Research
and Development Organisation
(DRDO) observed its foundation
day on January 01, 2021. DRDO
was established in _________.
Explanation: The Defence Research and Development
Organisation (DRDO) observed the 63rd
Foundation Day of its establishment on
January 01, 2021.
● DRDO was established in 1958 with just 10
laboratories to enhance the research work in
the Defence sector.
02. Who among the following has taken
over as the new Chairman of Steel
Authority of India Limited (SAIL)?
A. M V Gowtama
B. Soma Mondal
C. Nalin Singhal
D. Shrikant Madhav Vaidya
Explanation: Soma Mondal has taken over as the new Chairman of
Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) with effect from
January 01, 2021.
03. Who among the following has been
appointed as the Chairman & CEO
of Railway Board?
A. Prateek Kaushik
B. Ravneet Pandey
C. Suneet Sharma
D. Sachin Das
Explanation: The appointments committee of the Cabinet has approved
Suneet Sharma appointment as Chairman & CEO of
● The extended one-year tenure of Sharma’s predecessor,
Vinod Kumar Yadav, who also became the restructured
Board’s first CEO, ended on December 31, 2020.
04. Who has been awarded a knighthood
in the UK New Years Honours list?
A. Virat Kohli
B. Lewis Hamilton
C. Lionel Messi
D. Steve Smith
Explanation: Lewis Hamilton has been awarded knighthood in the
United Kingdom New Year Honours list.
● The award comes after Hamilton won his seventh
world title this year, equaling Michael Schumacher’s
05. Recently, Prime Minister Narendra
Modi laid the foundation stone of
Light House projects (LHPs) at
________ States through video
Explanation: Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid
the foundation stone of Light House
projects (LHPs) at six sites across six
States through video conference.
● The LHPs will be implemented at Indore
(Madhya Pradesh), Rajkot (Gujarat),
Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Ranchi
(Jharkhand), Agartala (Tripura) and
Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh).
06. Recently, Which of the following
country has changed the second
line of the anthem from “For we
are young and free” to “For we are
one and free”?
Explanation: On new year eve, Australia has changed one word in its
national anthem to reflect“the spirit of unity” and thecountry’s Indigenous population.
● The second line of the anthem, Advance Australia Fair, has
been changed from “For we are young and free” to “For we
are one and free.”
● Governor-General David Hurley has agreed to the commonwealth’s recommendation to make an amendment
to the anthem.
07. Recently, The Chief of Army Staff
General MM Naravane has received a
Guard of Honour at ________.
B. Republic of Korea
Explanation: Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane has received a Guard
of Honour at Republic of Korea Army Headquarters at
● He called on General Nam Yeong shin, Chief of Staff of Korean
Army and discussed issues of bilateral defence cooperation.
● The Army chief visited the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) near the
border with North Korea.
08. In December 2020, GST Revenue
collection has been recorded an
all time high of __________ since
A. 1,05,382 crore
B. 1,07,398 crore
C. 1,10,117 crore
D. 1,15,174 crore
Explanation: GST Revenue collection for last month has been recorded to be an
all time high since the implementation of the Goods and Services
Tax in the country.
● The gross GST revenue collected in the month of December 2020 is
Rs 1,15,174 crore.
● The revenue collected is 12 per cent higher than the GST revenues
in the corresponding period lasting last financial year.
● The December 2020 revenues are significantly higher than the
November’s revenues which was nearly Rs 1,04,963 crore.
09. Recently, India conducted its Fourth
Joint Working Group on Fisheries
meeting with __________.
A. Sri Lanka
Explanation: The Fourth Meeting of the India-Sri Lanka Joint Working
Group on Fisheries was held through virtual mode.
● The meeting covered the entire gamut of issues related to
fishermen and fishing boats which have been on the agenda
of bilateral discussions between India and Sri Lanka for
10. Which of the following airport has
become the only airport in South
India to have CAT IIIB compliant
A. Kempegowda International
B. Rajiv Gandhi International
C. Cochin International Airport
D. Goa International Airport
Explanation: Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru now has
a CAT IIIB compliant South runway that can be used by
aircraft even during inclement weather and foggy
● The South runway in the airport has installed an advanced
instrument landing system, airfield ground lights,
meteorological equipment, automatic weather
observation station, surface movement radar and other
navigational aids for the smooth operations during low