Current Affairs 15th November 2020
Current Affairs of the morning are here with the top headlines of the morning. Current Affairs are very important for all competitive exams including Banking, SSC, RBI, NABARD, etc.
01. In April 2020, India’s fuel consumption dips by _________.
Explanation: India’s fuel consumption fell almost 46 per cent in April as all petroleum products, except LPG.
● It massively erased demand following the nationwide lockdown that halted economic activity and
● India’s fuel consumption fell 45.8 per cent to 9.929 million tonnes in April, down from 18.32 million
tonnes of fuel consumed in the same month a year back.
02. Which of the following country
has paid a tribute by naming a
street after Rabindranath
Tagore on his 159th birth
Explanation: On the 159th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore, Israel paid him a heartwarming tribute by
naming a street after him in Tel Aviv.
● Israel named it ‘Tagore Street’ to commemorate the poet’s birth anniversary on 08 May.
03. Which of the following country
has recently raised the value
added tax (VAT) from 5 percent
to 15 percent starting from 1st
C. South Africa
D. Saudi Arabia
Explanation: In a significant decision, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has decided to raise value-added tax (VAT) from 5
percent to 15 percent starting from 1st July.
● It also has taken a decision to suspend the cost of living allowance starting from 1st June.
● The decision has been taken as part of measures aimed at shoring up state finances, battered by low oil
prices and a severe coronavirus-driven slowdown.
04. According to a recent data by the
Agriculture Ministry, Around
________ lakh hectare area have
been brought under summer rice
A. 87.87 lakh hectare
B. 66.52 lakh hectare
C. 34.87 lakh hectare
D. 16.63 lakh hectare
Explanation: The Agriculture Ministry has said that sowing area coverage of Summer Crops has increased significantly in the country.
● About 34.87 lakh hectare area have been brought under summer rice coverage as compared to 25.29 lakh hectare
during the corresponding period last year.
● Pulses have been sown in nearly 10.35 lakh hectare area as compared to 5.92 lakh hectare during the corresponding
period of last year.
● Coarse Cereals have been sown in about 9.57 lakh hectare area while about 9.17 lakh hectare area have been brought
under oilseeds coverage.
What is the name given to India’s 1st indigenous antibody-
based testing kit?
A.COVID KAVACH ELISA
A. COVID RAS ELISA
B. COVID LITE ELISA
C. COVID SAATHI ELISA
Explanation: National Institute of Virology, Pune, has developed the first indigenous antibody-based ELISA test kit –
COVID KAVACH for diagnosis of novel CoronaVirus.
● This test is expected to change the dynamics of COVID-19 testing in the country.
● The kit has displayed high sensitivity and accuracy in the validation tests at different sites.
● It can test around 90 samples in approximately two and half hours.
06. Which of the following institute has
recently developed automated UV
systems ‘DRUVS’ to sanitise
electronic gadgets, papers &
B. Defence Research and Development Organisation
C. Indian Space Research Organization
D. National Institute of Virology
Explanation: Hyderabad based Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) lab has developed
automated Ultraviolet systems to sanitise electronic gadgets, papers and currency notes.
● The device – Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser (DRUVS) has been designed to sanitise mobile
phones, iPads, laptops, currency notes, cheque leafs, challans, passbooks, paper and envelopes.
● Bundles of currency notes can be sanitised using DRUVS.
07. What is the name given to the
operation launched by the Indian
government to assist island
nations in Eastern Indian Ocean?
A. Mission Sanjeevini
B. Mission Sagar
C. Mission Inderdhanush
D. Mission Maitri
Explanation: India launched Mission Sagar as part of the government’s outreach initiative towards five Island
nations in the Indian Ocean amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
● Indian Naval Ship Kesari has departed for Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and
Comoros, to provide Food Items, COVID related Medicines including HCQ Tablets and Special Ayurvedic Medicines with Medical Assistance Teams embarked.”
08. Recently, Richard Wayne Pennima
who was popularly known as Little
Richard passed away. He was a
Explanation:Little Richard, the pioneering artist who set the template for rock and roll, has died aged 87.
● Little Richard, full name Richard Wayne Pennima, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
as part of its first group of inductees in 1986 and he picked up a Lifetime Achievement Award in
1993 from the Recording Academy.
● Tutti Frutti was Little Richard’s debut single released in November 1955. The record was an instant hit, climbing in the charts in both the US and the UK and is still known as one of his most iconic songs to date.
09. Nomura and Goldman Sachs
expects India’s GDP to grow
Explanation: Two foreign brokerages Nomura and Goldman Sachs predicted a contraction of 0.4 per cent of India’s
GDP in the current financial year due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
● Earlier in the day, global rating agency Moody’s cut growth estimate to zero.
10. Recently, which of the following
pharma company sold $3.35 billion
stake in Hindustan Unilever?
A. Johnson and Johnson
Explanation: GlaxoSmithKline sold its stake in Unilever’s Indian business for $3.35 billion, which is the largest block
trade ever to have been carried out in India.
● The funds will help GSK in its goal of reinvigorating its drug development pipeline, having made costly
bets on experimental cancer treatments and future cell and gene therapies amid sluggish revenue
● The 5.7% stake in Hindustan Unilever was accepted by GSK as payment for the sale of its malted drink
brand and other nutrition brands to Unilever, agreed in late 2018.