Conjunctions and Sentence Connectors
Here comes the explanation of Conjunctions and Sentence Connectors. Conjunctions are used as sentence connectors. With reference to competitive examinations, conjunctions constitute a big part in cloze test and arrange the sentences in order
Types of Conjunctions and their uses
- Comulative Or Compulative
1) And: Sudeep and Ankit are friends
2) Both… and : They both went to receive her and had lunch outside (both is used when there are 2 people)
3) Not Less than : He as well as his sister are very intelligent
4) Not Only… But also : He was not only fined but also expelled
- Alternative or Disjunctive
1) Either… Or… : Either he is made or he feigns madness
2) Niether… Nor… : He is niether the borrower nor his relative
3) Or… Choose a watch or a clock
4) Otherwise, Else — Work Hard, else you will not pass.
1) But – He is a good person but very naughty
2) Still, Yet. – He is rich yet h eis not contented
3) Nevertheless – He had no chance of success ; nevertheless he persevered
4) Whereas, While – Wise men love virtue; whereas fools shun it
5) Only – You may stay in the room; only make no noise.
1) Therefore – He was found stealing and was therefore arrested
2) For: He must be rewarded for the hardwork he has put in
- Based On Time
1) before: He must see me before 6 pm.
2) Till: I will be unavailable till 6 pm
3) Since: Many things have happened Since you left
4) While: I don’t want you to drive while you’re so tired
5) After: I returned home after 6.
- Other Conjunctions
7) As if